I want to make a tarp similar to the MLD grace in cuben. It is 9' long. Does anybody know what the proper drop would be. Also would the drop be centered. This will be my first tarp so all advice is welcomed.
Thanks.
Topic
Catenary cut drop?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
I use 2.5 inches for silnylon. Centered. Actually, by definition, catenary curve is centered. I use spreadsheet to calculate points http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/images/jerryscatenary.xls which I stole from Roger.
I've been researching Cuben – 1 inch would be better because it doesn't stretch so much.
Thank you Jerry. This is perfect. Could you let me know what fudge factor means. I appreciate it.
Fudge factor makes the units of "cm max deflection" be centimeters
If you used a different value for fudge factor, you could make the units be inches or whatever
The only reason I used cm, was because I have a metric ruler that has marks at each 0.1 cm (mm) and it was easier to have the format of the xls file cells be decimal to three places, actually two places would have been sufficient.
Since then, I noticed that someone had an almost identical xls file that had cells formatted to 1/16th inch – ahhh, you can format cell to be a fraction of type 1/16ths. Then I could have used my ruler that has marks at 1/16th inches, but I think it's easier to just use metric ruler and decimal to two places.
Select the column with "y cm", right click, "format cells", "fraction", "sixteenths"
You can do whatever's the most convenient.
Clear as mud?
Mud is clear. Thank you.
Become a member to post in the forums.

