Topic

Winter Boots

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedNov 12, 2013 at 10:05 pm

For Northbound thru-hike PCT 2014

Planning on getting into the Sierras early, if possible. I understand weather is unpredictable and my plans may have to change. But for the purpose of my question, lets just imagine a very big snow year. I have a wedding in Tahoe June 28th. With that said, I understand I will encounter a lot of snow. It seems Crampons are not necessary and an ice ax or self arresting pole of some sort is a good idea. I'm lucky enough to live in the mountains and enrolled in Avalanche I & II as well as Ice climbing this winter. Learning as much as I can.

I'm more concerned with boots. Am I going to be hiking in snow the whole time (most likely) . Should I get a snow hiking boot with a removable booty to sleep with or just opt for a VBL? Are my Vasque Breezes adequate or something more snow oriented? Are snow pants necessary or are rain pants fine? It seems extremely unnecessary to get a full mountaineering boot. Also, I have a MLD Patrol Shelter. Will that work or should I bring a tent?

Thank you for any help you can provide

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedNov 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

It is hard to tell when you will be starting or when you will be moving through the high part of the Sierra Nevada. If you are trying to go up the south side of Forester Pass and if it is a big snow year, then you might need all of the traction gear that you can find.

I know that it is still too early for decent snow forecasting, but the earliest guesses are that this may be a thin snow year. At this moment, things are dry, and the weather has shown no signs yet of shifting into a winter pattern.

–B.G.–

PostedNov 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Its too early to tell what will happen this winter, but where are you planning on going? If its around Tahoe (let's say Desolation) then unless its some kind of huge, bibilical snow year, you won't need full snow/ winter gear. Its lower elevation there and June 28 is getting on in the summer. If its a big snow year (which i'm hoping for! let's ski!) then at that point you'd hit some snow perhaps, but most likely just patches, lots of runoff, and a bunch of mosquitoes.

If you're going high elevation, then that's a different story. Could need some different equipment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...