Topic

Peak Design Capture Pro Camera clip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Peak Design Capture Pro Camera clip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Peak Design Capture Pro Camera clip

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Whitworth? I haven't dealt with Whitworth standard fasteners since the MG TD :) Camera tripod threads are typically 1/4-20. There is a European 3/8-16 standard also, but I haven't seen it anywhere but view cameras and tripod head-to-legs.

That camera trivia aside, gadgets have been made to entice photographers since Matthew Brady was a boy. I have a simplified version that is all metal and weighs 2 ounces. I've used it maybe twice in 30 years.

Camera belt clip

I concur that these belt clips leave the camera vulnerable to brush and all the other trail hazards, flopping around right where you can bang your arm into it. IMHO, most of these gizmos were made with sports photographers in mind.

Think Tank makes some very high quality holster style cases that can be mounted on a hip belt, but they add a pound and yet more bulk to your waist belt. Most of the other players like LowePro and Domke have their version

The only rigs I've seen that suit backpacking are chest mounted harnesses and cases. I find them all annoying, but if you must have your camera immediately available, that's what works best. A case with a lid that tips out gives the best access and still protects the camera. The smaller Lowepro. TLZ series aren't too bad and have enough d-rings to allow hanging them on your backpack shoulder straps.

You can sit down with a small pile of tri-slides, snap hooks and webbing to cobble up some links in a few minutes. Having something with side release buckles helps, because you need to release at least one side to get your pack off

The other chest option is a neck strap with some sort of elastic to your belt or other way to keep it from bouncing. In the old days with a Canon F1 and lens weighing 42oz, it was like having a bully poking you in the solar plexus if the camera bounced as you walked. Not good.

I prefer an assistant for hauling the gear— let's me concentrate on The Work :)

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

In my opimion this is one of the poorest Caffin reviews ever. At least he admits it is biased…..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I recommend the Lowepro TLZ AW case that is about 12 inches top to bottom, and it is on a well-padded shoulder strap that goes around my neck. AW means all-weather. Believe me, that sucker does not bounce, and it does not float.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dale

Both 1/4" Whit and 1/4" UNC have 20 tpi. The former has a 55 degree angle; the latter has I believe 60 degree angle. Yes, technically, the thread is UNC.

Since Whitworth is so commonly available, I called it that. (Think 1/4" gutter bolts.)

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> In my opinion this is one of the poorest Caffin reviews ever. At least he admits it is biased…..

I plead guity m'lud. The PR company asked me to review it and I said OK. So I felt obliged.

It was hard to find much to say about it as it does not really fit into the UL scene too well. OK, if you go UL so you can carry a DSLR and a 500 mm tele lens, then maybe – and this clip might then be of use to you as well. Mind you, if I was carting that much $$ around, it would be inside my pack.

Meanwhile, back to the CNC.

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Since Whitworth is so commonly available, I called it that. (Think 1/4" gutter bolts.)"

I've sold 0.040 over pistons for a Vauxhall Vega, and rear wheel cylinders for a Humbert Super Snipe— and that was in 1975. I thought Whitworth was buried long ago, or should gave been.

I'm at a loss for gutter bolts. Aussie jargon? Yous people talk funny :)

Shawn Donnelly

@canonshooter

Locale: Western Washington

I know more about taking photos than I do about backpacking and I am not sure how I would find use for this device. I am usually carrying two pro bodies on my person when I am working a sports event and this device does not appear to be of much practical use – at least for me. Unlike ultra light hiking where the desire is have multi functionality from a piece of gear in order to reduce weight, professional photographers require near complete redundancy which is essential to their craft. Redundancy is not ultra light! The review of the device was more than adequate.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I can't say enough about Zpacks multi-pack. It is my dedicated camera bag. It's on my chest when hiking and used as a sling bag in the evenings or around town. I seam-taped mine and added foam protection. Perfect size for mirrorless kit, extra lenses, and a few batteries.

Aaron Teasdale
    BPL Member

@digaaron

I use this every time I go backpacking, and frequently use it for skiing and biking as well. Granted I'm a pro shooter lugging a gigantic Canon, but the Capture Pro is the best way I've found to keep my camera handy when I'm adventuring in non-inclement weather. Takes a little getting used to, and I don't leave the camera attached when I take the pack on and off. But for people doing outdoor stuff with a big camera, it's the ticket.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

http://www.afowler.co.uk/posts/717/

after reading this i decided to try .

i am trying the capture v2 atm, but not the pro, the normal version is lighter and cheaper it was an easy choice for me.

i am using an EM5 for hiking that is soon to have a 12-40 , so camera + zoom will be weatherproof.

ill see if it replace my zpacks front packet + foam insert ( 60g ) or not.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Dale

> I'm at a loss for gutter bolts. Aussie jargon?
    So it seems. 1/4" Whitworth, flat head, thin square nut.
    http://www.ullrich.com.au/fastenings/79_gutter_bolts.php

Cheers

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

Not sure why there is so much animosity for this product from Roger. I've used the V1 and now have a V2 version and love it. Of course, I'm using a Pentax kit (K-3) and it's weather sealed, so that's not much of a factor for me. This system allows me to deploy the camera very quickly for wildlife shots, and it allows for an easy transition from hiking or backpacking to tripod mounting shooting (the clip is also an ARCA plate).

It's not a one stop solution for everything, but I think it's about an 85% solution. They also make a "leash", which you can tether to your waist strap to prevent dropping the camera if you miss the clip in (never had a problem).

If the weather it truly awful, I can deploy a gallon ziplock and a rubber band and have zero worries.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

They just came out with a POV camera mount clip, so you can mount up a Go Pro or similar to your shoulder strap, I should get mine soon, looking forward to trying that out!

Mandy Creighton
    BPL Member

@mandy

Locale: Aussie bush

I have the earlier version and the new one reviewed here and the system works for me, agreed not UL.

I usually mount the capture plate on the waist belt of my pack and works well for both my Sony NEX 5R with 18-200mm lens and my Nikon D7000 also with a 18-200mm lens and I remove the camera from the mount before taking my pack off, although I have forgotten to do this several times and the cameras lens hood usually touches the ground first so no damage.

I've used it for some off-track walking including overgrown Budawangs tracks and found the camera is quite secure, although I do go with a pouch and smaller lens on the Sony NEX if I'm expecting thick scrub.

Having the camera with big zoom lens handy means I take more pictures during a walk, especially when the walking with a group who are there for the walking not photography.

I also really like that the fitting is an ARCA plate which works seamlessly with my tripod.
    More of a camera enthusiast accessory than for someone bringing a lightweight camera along to document their trip.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"So it seems. 1/4" Whitworth, flat head, thin square nut.
    http://www.ullrich.com.au/fastenings/79_gutter_bolts.php"

Children separated by a common language indeed. Stove bolts here in the other colony :)

The issues I ran into with Whitworth fasteners was the head sizes on hex headed bolts and nuts. After looking into it, it appears that the smaller sizes of Whitworth/BSW and UNC threads are compatible. Old dogs can still learn :)

I sold Peugeot parts for several years. The French to English translations were odd and often entertaining. My college French was useless. The other thing that comes up is that many parts have several names and there is the engineering term vs the tradesman's term for the same. Much of a parts clerk's job is being an interpreter.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I dug out my LowePro TLZ Mini bag which fits the smaller Nikon DSLR's with a short zoom. The bare bag is just 6.6oz with the neck strap adding 2.4oz. It has just 2 D-rings and a belt loop, so a hiking rig would require two snap hooks to the shoulder straps (or use the neck strap) and something through the belt loop to keep it stable.

The larger TLZ bags have 4 D-rings for more mounting options. LowePro offers harness kit with a loop over the neck and another around the rib cage. There are some later versions with a padded suspender system more like the load bearing harnesses used by the military– far too complex to use with a backpack.

I'm sure someone could whip up a simple Cuben roll-top bag with some links to the backpack shoulder straps. That would lack padding, but would be fairly water and dust resistant.

If I were packing a G15, I would use a plastic food container with a silicone seal like the Lock-and-Lock boxes.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dale, when you get three or four thousand dollars worth of camera gear hung on you, the case needs to be padded a bit.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Why? Clumsy? (Grin)

Water and dust are more the culprits. If it is in your pack with other stuff, padding is good. I think riding in a secure bag on your chest trumps flopping around naked on your hip belt. I was trying to think about the UL option. The TLZ cases have enough armor for non-combat use.

Try hauling an 8×10 view camera and a truckload of lighting gear to a location. The normal focal length lens is something like a Schneider Symmar 300mm. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284170-REG/Schneider_01_029426_300mm_f_5_6_Apo_Symmar_L.html. Drop that and the boss will get all kinds of excited!

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Like Jon above I too am a big fan of the ZPacks Multi-Pac. It is the right size for a smaller point and shoot camera plus accessories and the attachment straps work well on most packs. No padding, but there is enough room to add your own. The Multi-Pac doesn't seem quite as big on me as shown in the pictures, but perhaps I am a bigger person than the model in the pictures, which I assume is Joe. ZPacks has excellent customer service also.

Chris Rife

@vitaminc

I've been using V1 for a couple of years with my Pentax K5 and have never had any trouble. Yes, it will bang in to things if you're not thinking when you set it down, but shame on you if that happens more than once! :p The main downside is of course the weight, however for me one of the reasons of taking lighter gear is so I can justify bringing a good camera along…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools