Topic

Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Ken (summmitboy)
    BPL Member

@khmcnair

Locale: Ottawa, Canada

Great report Ike!

I'd be interested in seeing your clothing/equipment list for this trip.

Thanks,
    Ken (aka summitboy)

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thank you all for the really nice comments. In actuality, I only have mediocre skill with the camera, but above average intent.

For those that requested it, my gear list for the trip can be seen here

For Nico, I limited myself to a single 24/1.8 zeiss lens attached to my NEX-6. I had brought a 55-200 telephoto lens, but left it in the car at the last minute for a weight savings of 14 oz. I missed having it in the Eckford chain of lakes, when the loons were playing hide and seek with me but I couldn't get a closeup. For whitewater shots and all day paddling, I used a go pro hero 3, which didn't work out as well as I liked. I missed many good shots on the water days, and didn't know it until I got home. The image quality from that camera was poor, as can be seen in the report. In the multipack were 2 spare batteries, a circular polarized lens, lens pen, and opteka remote.

Adam, no tarp for this one. When using a waterproof bivy in the rain, it's all about site selection. I usually look for a spot under a nice spruce with a good canopy and lots of duff.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Awesome article and photo's Ike, the NLP is still on my to do list. I bought the guidebook with maps, after we did an Eastern High Peaks Traverse back in 2009. Bought the guidebook at the EMS in Lake Placid, loved this town too……

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Wish I would have had him sign it

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Ike,

Great trip report!

Did you get much condensation in your WP bivy?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hey Ike, have you thought about participating in the 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open?

Ken (summmitboy)
    BPL Member

@khmcnair

Locale: Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for the gear list! Do you have a link to a web page for the raft? Thanks, Ken (aka summitboy)

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

Ike,

Your reports are always excellent, and this takes it higher. Very nice timing on the leaf change.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Really, really good.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Very enjoyable read. Thanks. It was great to see that element of route uncertainty, which always makes trips so interesting.

And yes, you should come to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open.

Glen Van Peski
    BPL Member

@gvanpeski

Locale: San Diego

Wow, what an incredible report, rich with awesome photos. Thanks for going to all the trouble, to give us a real flavor of an area of the world I haven't spent much time hiking in.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ike, I truely appreciate your report. The pictures are worth whatever effort it took to get them (at least for me).

Maybe your next article should be "what and how to cook on a extended outing". you seem do have that dialed in pretty good.
    Tad

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools