Topic

U.L and hammocks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

Richard..or anyone, what about the exped down mats? I seen those and the big 1 is 26in wide and 76in long and gives 3.5 inch loft and a 8.0 R value..now granted that sucker weights 44.4..but the no snivler combined with the nest is 40..so now I am more confused..lol anyone with info on this please enlighten me.I am leaning toward just purchaseing the 4 season set from JRB with a weather shield and getting the big exped, that way I would be ready for just about any condition the presented it self and as weather improves slowly send pieces home since it will be a dead winter start..feed back please..thanks

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>My concern with any close-celled foam pad, even one as thin as 1/4", would be that it wouldn't consistently form-fit to the hammock, thus creating gaps and cold spots.

The 1/4" does form-fit a bit better than a 3/8" pad, but it is still a bit gappy underneath. Thus, while thicker than the GG ThinLight 1/8", I'm not sure it's actually any warmer in practice. It is better for ground sleeping, which is why I chose it. I think I'll probably be using the GG ThinLight 1/8" and JRB Weather Shield bottom cover more than the HH underpad/undercover in the future, because my few experiments so far show them to be about equivalent in warmth and the GG/JRB combo is both lighter and dual-use (although not comfortably).

I do have an OR Exped DownMat 7 Short, which works very well with my GG ThinLight 1/8" for ground sleeping. I haven't used it under my hammock yet.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools