Topic

Yosemite from UA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yosemite from UA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I've spent much of the last three weeks on the road, or rather in the air, traveling across the US. And while I normally ask for (and get) an aisle seat, there were a couple of times when I sat by the window. This last trip, on Sunday, took me from Chicago to SFO and flew right over the top of the northern part of Yosemite, from the north shore of Mono Lake to Hetch-hetchy. I couldn't resist getting out my camera and taking a few photos. If you want more detail, click on the photo and use the zoom option on Picasa.

The first one is of Mono Lake and its islands.

1110130919.jpg

Then a shot of Young Lakes, McCabe Lakes, Mt. Conness, and Virginia Canyon, with Soldier and Return Lakes above it.

1110130921a.jpg

And then a shot of Hetch-hetchy that shows Laurel Lake and Lake Vernon, where the Rim Fire appears to be finally and totally out. No smoke at all.

1110130923b.jpg

Finally, Lake Eleanor and Cherry Lake, showing a lot of the damage from the Rim Fire.

1110130925.jpg

There are more photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/AirplaneOverYosemite2013#

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Interesting pics Paul….the pictures of the fire area really depresses me. One of my buddies who is a Saratoga Fireman was called into fight the fire. He was amazed at the size and scope of this fire…not looking forward to driving up Hwy 120 and driving through this….it will be quite somber to say the least

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Gorgeous. There's a quote I like from "Cadillac Desert" by Marc Reisner that goes like this…

"I had an aisle seat, and since I believe that anyone who flies in an airplane and doesn't spend most of his time looking out the window wastes his money, I walked back to the rear door of the airplane and stood for a long time at the door's tiny aperture, squinting out at Utah."

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Nice. But when I travel to Europe from SFO, I want an aisle seat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools