Topic

Down pants with long side zips?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
PostedNov 12, 2013 at 7:12 am

Some friends and I are planning a trip to the Adirondack High Peaks area the last week of December. We'll probably base camp somewhere around Slant Rock lean-to, and then day hike/snowshoe up to Mt Marcy, etc.

We're all living in SE Michigan. We all have mountaineering experience elsewhere, mostly Mt Olympus & Rainier, with one guy also having alpine climbing experience in AK some years ago. Some have done this trip before two years ago.

Anyway, Weatherunderground historical data shows a few really cold nights in nearby Saranac Lake, which translates to overlight lows close to -9 if a cold snap moves through.

I'm looking at purchasing some down pants for around camp (making and eating dinner), and maybe to supplement my 0 degree down bag. It's a Marmot Neversummer. Not exactly in the UL category at almost 4lb weight, but the price was right when I got it on sale, less than half of what a nice Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF would cost.

Right now, my favorite down pants are from Borah Gear due to weight, cost, and custom options. I'm thinking about asking if they can be customized with a side zipper on each leg that runs up to about knee height.

Any thoughts? REI sells synthetic insulated pants that already have side zips and are much more durable, but also significantly heavier. There are similar options from other makers as well (Eddie Bauer First Ascent, etc).

Jeff

PostedNov 12, 2013 at 8:10 am

you might contact goose feet gear… I know they make custom down pants, not sure if they will ad zips or not… or if he can do it in that time frame

Bill D

PostedNov 12, 2013 at 8:16 am

Nice tip. Unfortunately… (quote from their website)

"Because two of my seamstresses will be out on maternity leave from now until the end of the year, we will be shipping exclusively from inventory! While this does mean a smaller selection of colors and fill amounts, we will be able to ship within 1 business day! Please visit our Current Inventory page to see what we have in stock. Please continue to check back, as this list will be changing over the next few weeks. Any orders for items not in this spreadsheet will be made and shipped in the order that they are received beginning in January.

Please contact me with any questions!

Thanks,

– Ben Smith
GooseFeet Gearunatly…"

Maybe Luke's Ultralight if you contact him. Easy to deal with. Good reputation. About 2 weeks lead time needed.

PostedNov 12, 2013 at 8:18 am

Thanks for the update, Ben.

Sounds like I need to quickly make a decision and cash in my mason jar full of quarters! :-P

Edit – Ahhh. No down pants in inventory. :-(

PostedNov 12, 2013 at 8:26 am

I'm not Ben. I edited the post to add quote marks. That was cut and pasted from their website. sorry for the confusion.

PostedNov 12, 2013 at 8:40 am

Hi Jeff,
I just saw your email and replied. We can definitely add the knee length zips you requested to the pants. I sent more information in the email.
Thanks!

PostedNov 13, 2013 at 8:16 am

Forgive my ignorance.

What would it mean to have a convertible pair of down pants?

A convertible pair of hiking pants are pants where the knees can be zipped off, turning them into shorts.

Is that what's being suggested for down pants? I'm not sure I understand the utility of such a feature for a piece of cold weather gear.

I want long zippers so that I don't have to take off my boots in order to pull on the down pants in cold conditions.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedNov 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Rick is right about the temp range, I had not spotted your temp requiremnts

Earlier this year I was on a trip where it got down to -13f, and my legs where just about warm enough with a pair of Feathered Friends
Volant pants which have box wall construction and 5.5 of down, they are bit heavy but well worth it.

PostedNov 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Sorry for the hijack there my friend.
I like your idea for the long zippers. It sounds like you found someone willing to do the customization. I just figured while you had them on the line, I'd bring up a second question.
I've had warm pants in mind for a while. Convertible ones would give me a way to to regulate the heat. I wouldn't destroy them while walking through low brush or get them wet walking through wet grass.
Probably much lighter than what you were asking for. good for warmer conditions.

Ben Smith BPL Member
PostedNov 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I guess my website front page was not very clear – only socks and over-booties are being shipped from inventory, everything else is being made and shipped as usual. I will change the wording to reflect this.

– Ben Smith
GooseFeet Gear

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...