Topic

storing bear hang string

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique storing bear hang string

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

Hi,
    is there any perfect way to store bear hang string so that a person does not have to spend 5 minutes each night unraveling knots.
    I've tried criss-crossing through an arm loop and a speaker cord method with the same results.
    Any suggestions?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Wind it around one of your water bottles or cooking pots. A bit of duct tape, gorilla tape or leuko tape will keep the two ends in place. Water bottles also make great places to store 4 to 10 inches of such tape, ready for use.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This is the best way I know to coil thin line.

YouTube video

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Here is the abbreviated version of paracord management.

Same technique, just explained a little quicker.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

What kind of string/cord are you using? If it's braided line, the technique used by rock climbers for their climbing ropes may be worth a try. They just stuff it into a stuff sack randomly, then feed it out carefully when removing from the stuff sack. When I started climbing I couldn't believe it would work, but it did, every time without fail. Never knots up, and doesn't put twists in the line. Don't know if it will work with thin braided line, but don't see why "knot." Worth a try.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Wrap it around an old credit card.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

I'm using 2.2 mm zline slick.Seems to test my patience a lot as I prepare to throw the line .Just looking for a way to make this part of the day easier.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Shoving into a rock sack works fairly well.

When you wrap around anything, you put twist into the cord which then leads to tangling unless it is unwrapped in reverse.

When coiling a rope properly, when you make a loop by bringing hands together, you actually roll the rope between the thumb and index finger so it un-twists and relaxes it, then it lays flat. Same principle applies.

I didnt have much issue with 2mm
    The smaller stuff I use now IS worse.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

With any piece of rope, if you simply take the two loose ends and tie an overhand knot it will rarely get tangled up.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you have something in a stuff sack – sleeping bag, etc, just wrap the cord around that. It will serve as a compression stuff sack that way, getting a little smaller (or a lot if you want to apply tension on each wrap. The larger diameter means it won't take as many wraps as a water bottle to store.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.I'll be trying them all out soon.

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

I use the little plastic piece that kite string comes wrapped around.

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

Following the logic of a climbers' rope bag, I made a stuff sack with a 3/4" opening that I stuff my line into. I can tie a rock on the end of the line and toss it over a branch and the line will pay out as much as needed never getting tangled. The bad is I made it out of camo patterned material so I nearly lose it every trip and it is tedious to stuff the line back in when packing up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools