Topic

GoLite’s 15D Tent Fabric

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
J-L BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 9:59 am

Does any one have long-term experience with GoLite's 15D tent fabric (or similar)? It is silicone-coated on the outside, PU-coated on the inside, and has a hydrostatic head of only 1500mm. I imagine the PU coating is there to meet fire retardant restrictions and to allow the seams to be taped.

I am wondering if the material can be re-coated with silicone if the PU coating on the inside wears off?

From my limited experience so far with the SL2, the material seems plenty strong, but it does seem to stretch more than the various 30D silnylon shelters I have used.

PostedNov 11, 2013 at 5:32 pm

John,
Silcoated and PUcoated are different. For PU coated, there are restorative treatments like Tent Sure by McNett. If you try to coat PU coated fabric with silicone, I think you will be disappointed. For restoring DWR there are sprays with silicone and without. Kiwi Camp Dry, for example, comes both ways. Since there is a choice, I use the 'without' for PU coated fabric, and the 'with' for silcoated fabric.

I think it is too soon to know how durable the 15-20 denier tent fabrics will be. I have a 15D Aussie tent that has only been out for a few weeks so far. Haven't seen any silcoated 15-20D yet, but it should be doable. The consensus here seems to be that silcoated nylon is stronger than PUcoated nylon, other things being equal, so it might make sense to silcoat the low denier, if a highly water repellent silcoat is available. Roger Caffin has told us it is not in the USA due to environmental regulations. So it depends on whether someone elsewhere will to do it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...