Topic

Layering assistance needed

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 11:42 pm

So, I am needing a bit of help with my layering system.

What I am thinking about doing is using a T base layer. Then getting something like the Patagonia Cap 4 zip neck and using that and my wind shirt for when it is cool out. Adding my R2 when I stop to hopefully take me down to around 25F and if it is raining, a rain jacket. Beyond that a hooded down jacket. I know I am relying a lot on the T-Cap 4-wind jacket-R2-rain jacket for the chilly temps but I really don’t want to buy a synthetic. Any thoughts? MH Ghost Whisperer?

I have some Wind Pro OR gloves, 300PL fleece Mitts, WPB shells and Primaloft mitts so I am not so worried about that. I also have an OR Wind Pro hat and balaclava which keep my head pretty warm down to about the 25F line.

I wish there was a better layering system for you legs. I can wear the Ex Officio boxer briefs along with the REI Sahara pants and put some side zip rain pants on over them but it is hard to put the fleece pants on in this situation and I am really not a fan of the side zip synthetic and down insulation pants but I should probably make myself be.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 1:38 am

How about a nice puffy vest?

Light soft shells are good and layer nice with long johns. I like long johns and rain pants in cold rain. Forget regular pants if it's going to be raining all day.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 6:45 am

True, just wear the fleece ones. It might be easier for me to get a vest as all i have to worry about is getting one long enough in the torso not the arms also.

PostedNov 11, 2013 at 8:24 am

Hi Brett,

I have a layer I've started using for trips where I think I might need some extra leg insulation: fleece knickers.

My method: I found a pair of cheap fleece pants at a thrift store. They were a bit oversized, allowing me to wear them over my long john/trail pant combo. I cut the legs off at the knee, then put in drawstrings so I could snug them up, though the drawstring is optional, I rarely tighten them up.

They seem to add just the right amount of warmth while I'm walking, while their breathability gives them a pretty wide comfort range when worn on top. I've also been using them in cold rain, over long johns and under my rain pants. My lower legs don't seem to get cold with long socks and gaiters on, but my upper thighs/groin/lower abdomen do get cold; these knickers have been just the ticket.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...