Topic

Relative warmth of Montbell jackets

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Dennis Park BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Can anybody help scale the warmth of these jackets? Perhaps rate relative to a Thermawrap, ie 2x as warm, etc.

Thermawrap vs Thermawrap Pro vs Alpine Light Down Parka vs UL Down Parka

Thanks

Mike W BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 12:17 am

This graph from Richard Nisley's thread on garment warmth may be what you are looking for.

https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1235191188_10421.jpg

The entire thread is worth reading.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&disable_pagination=1

Also keep in mind that there are other reasons that you may want to choose a Thermawrap over a down jacket. I have a Montbell Themawrap and a UL Down jacket and use them very differently. The down jacket is definitely warmer for sitting around camp but I wouldn't ever wear it while hiking or in wet brush or rain. The Thermawrap isn't as warm but I can wear it without worrying about sweat, wet brush and light showers.

Dennis Park BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 12:19 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. Let's take the situation of sitting around camp. Is the UL noticeably warmer than the Thermawrap?

Mike W BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 12:40 am

Yes, the UL Down jacket is significantly warmer but I won't attempt to give a "degrees difference" in warmth as everybody is different. A young guy that runs warm may be hot in the Thermawrap while I'm just right in my UL Down (that happens with my kids all the time but they are mid-twenties).

The UL Down is definitely a lot warmer. Wearing a base layer + 100 weight fleece + UL Down (and maybe a rain jacket) will keep me comfortable for a few hours around camp as temperatures drop to 32F (but I'll be diving into my down bag when the temp hits that mark as I tend to cool off quickly when I'm not moving).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...