Topic

Relative warmth of Montbell jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Relative warmth of Montbell jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Can anybody help scale the warmth of these jackets? Perhaps rate relative to a Thermawrap, ie 2x as warm, etc.

Thermawrap vs Thermawrap Pro vs Alpine Light Down Parka vs UL Down Parka

Thanks

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

This graph from Richard Nisley's thread on garment warmth may be what you are looking for.

https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1235191188_10421.jpg

The entire thread is worth reading.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&disable_pagination=1

Also keep in mind that there are other reasons that you may want to choose a Thermawrap over a down jacket. I have a Montbell Themawrap and a UL Down jacket and use them very differently. The down jacket is definitely warmer for sitting around camp but I wouldn't ever wear it while hiking or in wet brush or rain. The Thermawrap isn't as warm but I can wear it without worrying about sweat, wet brush and light showers.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. Let's take the situation of sitting around camp. Is the UL noticeably warmer than the Thermawrap?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Yes, the UL Down jacket is significantly warmer but I won't attempt to give a "degrees difference" in warmth as everybody is different. A young guy that runs warm may be hot in the Thermawrap while I'm just right in my UL Down (that happens with my kids all the time but they are mid-twenties).

The UL Down is definitely a lot warmer. Wearing a base layer + 100 weight fleece + UL Down (and maybe a rain jacket) will keep me comfortable for a few hours around camp as temperatures drop to 32F (but I'll be diving into my down bag when the temp hits that mark as I tend to cool off quickly when I'm not moving).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools