Topic

ID Chock Solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ID Chock Solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

Picked one of these up recently to see if it would work for me, and figured I would post some pictures/thoughts as there doesn't seem to be much on this particular shelter online.

1-person, 3-layer 40D eVent single wall shelter. 88.6"x31.5"x31.5". DAC poles. Listed at 61oz

Component weights (as measured by me):

Body w/ stuff sack: 43.8oz
    Poles w/ bag: 14.8oz
    8 aluminum stakes w/ bag: 3.4oz

Total: 62oz

The outer door is mesh, and the inner eVent door zips up inside of it. Can be cracked for ventilation, along with a small "window" on the opposite side. A smaller 8.5mm pole holds the "rain eves" up

The poles are curved on each end, allowing for the steep walls and asymmetrical shape. They are secured by velcro to the interior walls, and sit in grommets at the re-inforced corners of the tent.

With a size "long" 15 degree bag:

It turned out to be a little short for me. My bag touches the ends, without a pad or me in it. Setting it up takes a little practice, but can easily be done in 5min (in nice conditions). It appears to be very sturdy, especially with the 4 extra tie-outs. I'm not a huge fan of the narrow stuff sack it comes in, I have a hard time rolling it up nice enough to fit inside, even without the poles.

I cannot comment on its integrity in the field, as I only set it up in the yard a few times. I've read a lot of good review about Integral Design shelters though, especially the ones made with eVent. There just isn't the same amount of information available for this particular model.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

James,

Have you used this in anger yet?

Cheers,

Stephen

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Unfortunately I never got to. I returned it because it was too short for me (or rather, I was too tall for it). Pretty bummed because it seemed like an awesome shelter.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That's a shame, the reason I asked is I saw one on sale for 200$ and it was tempted by it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

James,
    how tall are you ?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I think I like side entry much more than front entry for a 1P tent. That being said, you can pry my Fly Creek from my cold, dead hands.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Stephen – That's exactly why I got one. $170 for an eVent shelter is hard to pass up

Franco – 6'2" (188cm) But my sleeping bag is longer, and it touched the head and foot ends even without a pad.

Max – I like the side entry too. I think it makes it less mountain-extreme worthy, but I'm not that extreme anyway. Yet.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

170$ is definitely a great price James, shame it was too short for you.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

one of the tricks is to put your shell jacket between the foot of your sleeping bag and the tent wall so it doesn't wet-out from touching. another is to make a pillow that prevents the head of your sleeping bag from touching. sleeping on the diagonal isn’t going to help much in the tent pictured. also, i’m not sure i want the mesh on the outside of the solid door.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Both very good ideas that I hadn't thought of (thank you), but because i don't necessarily need a bomber assault tent, I wasn't quite ready to make those compromises.

The mesh on the outside wasn't my favorite (I would guess it would be prone to icing up) but I read somewhere that ID justifies the choice so you can "open up the main door without letting bugs in". How often there are bugs on summit assaults, I do not know.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

The mesh on the outside would of out me off also.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

old thread, but I just picked one of these up in a trade (well it's actually being mailed to me :) ), hope to get it out on some winter backcountry trips soon

not a ton of info out there on this shelter

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Mike,

If it's for winter only I would cut the mesh out.

David Ure

@familyguy

The ID MK tents have been using mesh on the outside since 1986 and never an issue. It allows you to open the interior door for ventilation without having to unzip a mesh inner door, unzip the outer fabric door, and then re-zip up the inner mesh one. Better in a storm. The mesh used is heavier than what is used in say Hilleberg or some Cottage Manufacturers.

ID MK tents are a staple for Alpin Mountaineers in Canada North.

Dan Geiger
    Spectator

@strat

Had one of these breifly.Felt much to narrow in the one person version for me.I went with the ID Wedge which i really like.Used with a tarp a bombproof Bivy protrail setup.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools