Topic

KS Ultralight gear waistpack

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Velimir Kemec BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

Hi,

not sure if this cotagge manufacturer from Japan has been discused here
before. I wasn't happy with my waistpacks from the past so I spent
great deal of time browsing the net and found KS ultralight gear
cotagge manufacturer from Japan http://www.ks-ultralightgear.com/

I just made a review about the Waistpack I got from them. In one
word the waistpack is just what I was looking for.

Waistpack

Please stop at my blog page (so I don't trash here to much about the details
and read it thru) Mr. Laurent was willing to provide me one free of charge
(I payed for shipping) but all words on the blog came from my own observations and
in field use past few months.

Cheers!

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 3:06 pm

That is a good size for a waist pack. I've found that they should fill the lumbar curve of the back, but not more. 5 liters is just about it.

I like side pockets and most are too small. The ones in the photo are a little big, but I would rather err on that side. Just because they can hold that much doesn't mean you have to fill them all the way. So many of the hydration oriented waist packs for runners have pockets so small you can't get an iPhone in them. Hikers need the space for basic essentials and stabilization is less a problem when walking rather than running.

The weight is good. A comparable Lowe Alpine Peak Runner is easily twice as much.

Lowe Alpine Peak Runner waist pack

I would prefer to attach the pockets using sewn webbing and stiffened straps on the pockets, cloning the US military MOLLE system.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I had a dream once many years ago, and the gear necessary still hasn't arrived.

My dream was to go on a multi-day backpacking trip with only a lumbar pack. My normal baseweight is about ten pounds, including a bear canister, and that just is not going to fit.

I have a couple of large lumbar packs, but they just aren't large enough.

–B.G.–

PostedNov 10, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Belt pockets tend to make me fatter than I already am. My arms tend to rub against them and bushwhacking becomes more difficult. I'm happy with smaller ones. The water bottle pockets look very well placed and it looks very comfortable. Nice find.

Velimir Kemec BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hi,
@ Daryl = yes clever design indeed. I was able to fit lots into it and still felt comfortable wearing it.

@ Dale = yeah 5L it's about perfect and as you've said it fits my lumbar curve at back just fine. Like it would "ride on me. The pockets are not overly big at all. I think it's the photos that make them look overly big and I overstuff them so they'll get more notice as I realy like their boxy shape. Much more volume to standard envelope style pockets. Not sure what you actually mean with MOLLE system as I havent been to the army:)..

@ Bob = Keep on dreaming:)..fitting bear canister is a no go, but it can take lots:)

@ Scree = Hmm interesting observation about side pockets but as said they ain't that big. I think they hold 1L each. I can easily reach for water and put bottle back into it while on the go.

Cheers

P.S.
Sorry for my bad grammar!

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Ha! Your English is better than my Slovene ( as in none).

MOLLE attachments use a stiff loop with a snap on one end. The loop slides behind a webbing strip on the pack. It is used for attaching pouches and other gear to packs, belts and vests.

MOLLE system detail

You have probably seen all kinds of civilian variations. The idea is to have a line of webbing sewn to the pack or belt using bar tacking, so there are spaces between to slide the mounting loop through. It is simple and stable. The same loops can be used over a plain belt too, so those pockets could be worn alone as well.

Granite Gear makes some packs and accessories that use similar attachments. The GG Leopard pack has no waist pockets, but it does have the webbing "rails" to mount pockets. An accessory tool loop is shown below mounted on a webbing array on the Leopard waist belt.

Granite Gear tool loop attachment

Edit:

I dove into my "pouch box" and found these examples.

Left to right:

Military style MOLLE smoke grenade pouch

Outdoor Research zippered belt pouch with Velcro tabs (this is exactly what I would do)

Tamrac lens case with belt loop and snaps. This is common in a lot of camera carry systems. The single wide tab requires a matching space on the webbing, limiting placement. Two small and widely spaced tabs, like the OR pouch above should be more stable too.

Belt pouch examples.

Having an interchangeable system allows more sizes all kinds of adaptations and uses. From the marketing standpoint, the manufacturer can sell more universal pockets for his own gear and everyone else's packs too.

The thing to watch about size is getting them too thick and whacking them with your arms or catching brush on the trail.

Thanks for sharing this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...