Topic

Hysol at retail stores?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hello,

Where are people in the USA buying Hysol. I live in Asheville, NC and wonder if it is available locally. Also, never having used it, is there only one kind?

Thank you for you help

PostedNov 10, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you for the info. I see that it rewires a special applicator. Is there any way around using that?

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Hmmmmm, all the different tubes look like they take the same applicator — maybe someone on BPL has a "hack" for this, though…not me!

PostedNov 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

That's what I am seeing too. Maybe, I will need to rethink my project but I will search some more first. Maybe eBay has a used applicator.

Dustin Short BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

The Hysol linked above is not the standard used for cuben fiber projects. It may work, but I don't know. The most commonly used is Hysol UL-09 (either LV or FL which just changes the viscosity of the product).

Hysol UL is a urethane adhesive, so when it dries it remains flexible. Epoxy adhesives almost always dry hard and are not suitable for fabric applications. So just beware.

You can get Hysol UL from McMaster-Carr or eBay and even amazon. Fastenal stores may carry it too.

PostedNov 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Looks like the gun is $22 at Mcmaster Carr:

Applicator Gun 74695A71 Each $22.10

PostedNov 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Good find, Daryl. I could not find one less than $40, so just used my thumbs to push equal amounts out of each tube. Worked fine – actually more accurate, because if one tube is a little slow secreting, you can even it up.

Looking at the McMaster-Carr site, it appears that there are a variety of different types of adhesive under the name "Hysol." Only a few are urethane.

If you have access to a Fastenal store, they could order it without your having to have it shipped.

Jim Colten BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 7:11 pm

If you have access to a Fastenal store,
I do.

they could order it without your having to have it shipped.
That's what I thought … was still charged fro shipping to the local store.

PostedNov 11, 2013 at 5:23 am

I'm glad to hear that I can do this with my thumbs. I just want to bond some tie outs so this is perfect.

PostedNov 11, 2013 at 8:28 am

I use a dowel with sharpie markings on it to push out the glue. That way, you get exactly the same volume of each component. As Dustin said, the stuff originally recommended by Cubic Tech, which most people use for bonding cuben, is Hysol U09FL or U09LV, not the E120 that Valerie indicated.

Scott Nelson BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 9:41 am

diy hysol gun

Its funny, I just put this together yesterday. I used a caulk gun that I had (or could be bought cheap) and taped two 1/2 inch square pieces of wood as plungers. They are seperated by a broken off piece of wood from a paint stirring stick. It dispenses equally and in controled quantity. I stirred by hand and brushed on the glue to my cuben.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...