Topic

Two planning quesitons about making a quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Two planning quesitons about making a quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

Thinking about making a top quilt for spring/fall temps, and to use over my 35* bag for winter. With the goal of using 2 bags to cover the 3 temp ranges. Is that way off base, or have people done this?

Is it fair to add the weight of fill and compare that to a known bag? Say: (1lb fill + 1.5lb fill bags) = a bag with 2.5lb of fill temp rating?

I will control the amount of fill pretty carefully to get to a rating that makes sense as a stand-alone fall/spring bag and to supplement my 35 for the colder months. How do you all determine fill weight to achieve a certain expected temp rating?

I'll be inside a bivy under a tarp, or more likely in my double-wall tent if I expect snow. On a therma-rest when the temps call for insulation. Would wear my 1lb down puffy too.

Second question, anyone made a quilt that you can fairly easily add/remove fill to save weight for a specific temp trip? Almost certainly going to work with synthetic fill. Down is great but I'm not confident in keeping dry yet. I could make horizontal tubes and just make one end have velcro, or even just overlapping flaps, so I can re-stuff it as needed. Will no vertical baffles be bad in keeping the fill even?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> With the goal of using 2 bags to cover the 3 temp ranges.
    Fairly common for many walkers who also ski tour.

> more likely in my double-wall tent if I expect snow.
    That would be far more intelligent!

Cheers

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Thanks, Roger.

I coincidentally just saw your old post saying you used Pertex Microlight to make a bag.

It's 50% heavier than Quantum. Not too concerned with the weight if it comes with a real benefit, but not seeing any listed in my reading.

[Quantum is 50% heavier still than M50 or Nobul1, both 10D, suspect that won't meet my durability needs].

What is best practice here? Durable outside or inside? more breathable in or out? Can 10D hold up a few seasons as an inner layer?

I'm thinking Quantum outer, M90-tafeta inner for better feel (though it will rarely touch skin). My current bag is quantum in/out and I like the feel, and have never had condensation.

Probably going to use 2 layers of 5oz/sqyd Climashield apex. Approx. 2lb fill weight, for 15-20* temps, hoping for zero with both bags.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Rick
    Colin Ibbotson has made a removeable fill synthetic quilt here:

http://tramplite.com/2013/10/myog-synthetic-quilt.html

His is an an intersting project, but personally, I'd just make 2 different rated quilts. Seems a lot of fiddly work for no real aggregate advantage.

I made a climashield xp quilt 4 years ago. The insulation is formed in quite 'solid' sheets. I agree with others that quilting/baffles are not really needed to stabilise the insulation. Just stitch around the perimeter, and treat the quilt with care.

I have big feet and after 2 footbox iterations (drawstring and zip) found it hard to get enough footroom so I made (and prefer) a permanent footbox (with a sewn-in oval panel at the foot end) I made it large enough to slip over the foot of my -3*C rated down sleeping bag for use as a winter topbag.

I used pertex microlight outside and a lighter cheap uncoated taffeta inside.
    Been used down to frosty (with clothing) for tent tarp and WPB bivi use.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Thanks – That is an interesting project, and it is complicated. I guess one could make a second (third?) layer with only one face that attached to the top of a full quilt, 3 shells vs 4. But I agree it all is a little fiddly to bother.

I spent a long time looking at quilt projects, and his approach to this project is commendable!

In my research, I decided I'm best served making the lightest down quilt I can stand for the warmest summer months, and use it to extend my 35* further into the fall. The cost for 5-8oz ounces of down is not as bad as I thought, to just jump in and see what happens. At least for this winter's sewing project (hard to finish a project just in time for it to be too warm to use it!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools