Topic

Do inflatable pads work ok

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I used to camp growing up but gear was pretty different then. I am recently getting into backpacking and am trying to get setup with a light/comfortable balance of gear.

I looked for an answer for this question online but I guess it's either obvious or no one has been wild enough to comment on it.

(deleted section)


BPL does have minors reading the Forums. We would ask that posters conduct themselves (and phrase their postings) accordingly.

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm

"If it is not a good choice in this situation, what alternatives would folks suggest?"

The nearest grassy stream bank, preferably along side a waterfall.

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 3:50 pm

NeoAir "All Seasons" 78 x 25 x 2.5 Tried & True and get your GROOVE on!

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Tom, that's awesome, provided it's not too cold! :)

Thank you Jay! Will look into those.

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Sorry, Roger, I forgot and just couldn't resist. At least it proves the post deletion function is operational and available to the Forum Moderator. ;0)

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 4:56 pm

So why not delete them all? The remaining posts still contain the original title and innuendo— and that's all any of the posts were, just innuendo.

If you're going to play censor, at least be thorough.


Hi Dale
Ooops! Thank you.
Cheers

Bob Bankhead BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Cabin Fever is setting in early this year.

Either that or most of us don't have a life outside BPL.

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I can’t believe nobody is actually assisting the OP with a valid question. So allow me.

Your site name seems to indicate you’re a woman, so I assume size matters. So you want an inflatable that’s long, wide, and firm – one that will stay up all night. Some of the Thermarests are known for getting soft before morning unless you want to be blowing during the night, so I’d stay away from those. I’d also stay away from BPL’s swap – you want one that hasn’t been passed around too much. Also, unless you’re one of those who just lay there without moving, you want one that will accommodate a variety of positions. You’ll probably find a good pillow indispensable in this regard. Lastly, shop for the newer models, regardless of what Eric B or Dale W might say. While the older models might be easier to maintain and even be a bit more comfortable, they probably won’t be as firm, or stay as firm for as long. That might be important to you.

Hope these tips help.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hi Doug

OK, I'll pass that one! Skillful use of the English language – and of the reader's mind.

Cheers

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Thank you Doug, your reply was really helpful.

I am sorry if the post offended anyone. It was a serious question that I could not find an answer to anywhere, and I assumed that as a healthy activity most adults engage in and enjoy, people in the forum might have something helpful to say to prevent someone new to backpacking from wasting time and money on unsuitable gear.

I am glad the post was able to provide a source of amusement, even if not intended. I am certainly not a prude and don't mind jokes but of course it is always nice to have some serious replies that address the question asked.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm

The little bit of innuendo posted here was far less destructive to the community than some of the vitriolic spitting matches of late that raged on unabated. As with many media, you can represent murder and mayhem, but God help you if you involve sex or nudity.

Sigh….. Much ado about nothing!

Kattt BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 7:13 pm

"As with many media, you can represent murder and mayhem, but God help you if you involve sex or nudity. "

Yup. So true and sad.

Jeffs Eleven BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm

You could try a sling made from trekking poles and paracord. Like francos chair.

…. Maybe he could even mock one up

Small weight penalty, assuming you use trekking poles

Climbing harness? Hang it pct style

Thinking "outside the box"

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm

"WoodenWizard"

Are you allowed to use that name here…in this thread…where minors might be lurking…?

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Doug quipped, "Lastly, shop for the newer models, regardless of what Eric B or Dale W might say"

Ouch! When have I ever said that someone shouldn't use the newest gear? I may have opined that a new model didn't measure up, but not exclusively because it was the latest item. I have taken a shot at a market trend.

And who is Eric B? If you mean to include me with Eric C, I might feel libeled ;)

To the OP, please don't mind Roger. Australians have an innate fear of sexual relations and considering the results, it is well founded. {{{{{SNORT}}}}}

PostedNov 10, 2013 at 8:17 am

To the OP, please don't mind Roger. Australians have an innate fear of sexual relations and considering the results, it is well founded. {{{{{SNORT}}}}}

Hahaha! Dale, you made me laugh.

PostedNov 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I see my mildly naughty post was DELETED!! I'm shocked!, SHOCKED! I tell you.

Well, perhaps I did stray outside the bounds of Boy Scout propriety but, hey, most of us here are adults and the rest who aren't could probably tell us more than we presently know about human sexuality.

Anyway, no more posts about "Phyllis". ;o)

I'm kinda proud that I finally got a post deleted. Now I can join the ever-growing club.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Ages ago, I had one deleted regarding the use of pumps for filling air mattresses. I included a photo of Lauren Bacall quoting her famous lines from To Have and Have Not:

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and… blow"

Must be an air mattress thing of some sort.

Ian BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I always miss the good threads! Even Eric had one of his responses deleted? Dang hockey tournament!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Loading...