Topic

Inflation Valves from Inflatable Sleeping Pads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Inflation Valves from Inflatable Sleeping Pads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I'm looking for a source of inflation valves similar to that used on the Therm-a-rest NeoAir pads for a little project. Anyone know where to source something like this?

I looked around at a few shops that specialize in parts for inflatable boats and similar, but all or most of what I saw was much bigger and clunkier than the small sleeping pad style inflation valves. For my intended purpose, the smaller and lighter, the better. I also need it to be easy to inflate/deflate and adjust air volumes. Thus, the Therm-a-rest style valves would be ideal but I'm open to other ideas/options like those used on the Klymit products.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

You can buy Thermarest "replacement valves"…http://www.rei.com/product/682270/therm-a-rest-valve-kit

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

You can buy a thermarest replacement valve as posted above. Jsut be warned that you'll have to fashion a plastic block similar to what TaR uses, or use a lot of glue to seal it to your project.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Didn't realize they sold these. That's a good start!

Now just have to think about how I'll make the other part that the valve seats onto.

Thanks again.

-N.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

if it's a one off project, you could probably just take a rasp/file/dremel to a square block of nylon and carve an almond shape easily enough after you drill a proper sized hole.

Redacted k
    Spectator

@some-schmo

I am a big fan of the twin valves on the Exped pads. I think you may be able to get them cheaper by getting maybe one of their inflatable pillows. The rubber flapper portion of the valves makes inflate/deflate very easy, since the majority of air only goes in the direction you want. I also love the schnozzel pump bag inflation method, so I am very biased. I just never liked my thermarest valve, always felt like my eyes were going to blow out of my head when topping it up.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Nico – what did you do in the end?
    I also want a complete valve to put in a pillow

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I had to replace one on my Klymit Inertia and they sent one to me. That would lead me to believe that they would sell them as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools