Topic

?? on two pieces of gear

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 8:26 am

1) I am really impressed with how effective my cheapie nylon rain wind shell works in the temps of high 20's to low 30's if it is windy. I wear my base layer Merino or base layer PolarMax and then put on the shell and as long as I am hiking I am just fine. Use the zipper for venting.
Question: It weighs 10oz and the Patagonia Houdini weighs 4oz. Is there a "cheap alternative" that weighs around 5oz?

2) I currently want to plan a winter trip. Planning on lows of 10degF. Currently own a 35 deg highly compressible sleeping bag that weighs 3.5# and fits inside my GoLight Jam50.
I also own a 4# syn bag that weighs 4# but does not compress small enough to fit in my Jam (with all my other gear). I own a warm down vest but not a puffball jacket. Aside from the weight thing, where would be the best place (bottom, top, front, side) to "lash" not very compressible (10" diam x 12") which is 15 Liters (short and fat).
Where should I attach it and how?

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 8:45 am

Your going to save the most weight by replacing your syn for a down bag, check out kelty cosmic or the walmart bag, or buy used.

PostedNov 9, 2013 at 9:00 am

Yes, I agree on the weight thing. The plan is to save up for a WM Alpinlite. For now I would like to know if anyone has any experience on the best place to lash on 4 bulky pounds to the outside of the Jam50

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedNov 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

On your first question — I have ordered a wind jacket from China that looks to be "Houdini-esque" for +/- $15 (3-4 oz weight). It should arrive in a few weeks, and I was planning to post a review of it on BPL after I'd worn it a few times. So that may/may not be an alternative for you…we'll see. I thought it was worth $15 to try it.

On your second question, I think you would be most comfortable with the sleeping bag lashed to the top of the Jam. Yes, it might brush up against the back of your head, but it would keep the weight more in line with your body (aot having it hang low, or off the back of the pack).

I think the down vest should be ok as part of a nice layering system. I'm not sure whether your sleeping bag is warm enough, so you may have to sleep in many of your layers…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...