Topic

Western Mountaineering Flash Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western Mountaineering Flash Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Does anyone own a pair of western Mountaineering Flash Pants? I am considering buying myself a pair of these to go with a 10 degree down quilt for winter backpacking in NY. Thinking mostly when temps get near 0 or a few degrees below that the Flash Pants, along with my down sweater and wool baselayers will keep me comfortable. I sleep very warm to begin with and I have taken my 20 degree quilt down to around 10 degrees with just baselayers and have slept fine. How do these pants run in size?

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I have them, and love them, I just wish they were a little longer as I have a ridiculously long inseam. they are warm and confy. I have used them one night with a 10 degree Revelation, Synmat7 Golite Selkik, and blackjack down beanie. I did not get below 0 with this set up yet, but it was damn close and i was toasty

I have also used this set up with my Revelation30 and Xlite pad comfortably down in the 20s

I think I am going to order a custom set of down pants from John over at Borah Gear

YMMV

Jeff

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you might like THIS article if you haven't read it,he does talk about fit.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'd encourage you to look at goosefeet gear down pants as well- they are basically a custom build (w/o a custom cost)- how much fill, inseam length, etc

bought my wife and I pair each, they are wonderfully constructed, lightweight and warm :)

teamed w/ a down parka, we can get a lot of mileage out of our 15 degree bags (Marmot Heliums) as well as being cozy around camp

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks people. I am liking the Borah Gear down pants now that Im looking at them..hmmm. Sheeesh..decisions decisions

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

..and the Goosefeet gear down pants are intrigueing also…

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Yes, I own a pair…and use them for the purpose you speak of. I also use them while lounging around camp in the PM and AM…sans fire!

I've used them, amongst additional layers, to take my 32° Summerlite bag down to the high teens. Not toasty but they were undoubtedly the difference between getting some sleep and shivering all night. (I'm sleeping on the cooler side these days)

Re the size, I got a medium on their recommendation. I'm a trim 6' and 155lbs. They are way short and the waist and crotch too small…at least for my liking (I prefer a more relaxed fit than many). I've been trying to find someone with a size large who wants to trade for my mediums. Dang. Thus far, no luck. :-(

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

My wife has the Flash pants, I have the Flight pants. Both are great and well made and seem to have a nice cut. I'm tall and was a little concerned about sizing, but no worries after they arrived. I purchased according to WM's size chart.

I think the Borah pants offer the most bang for the buck, especially when you start comparing fill weights.

All in all, down pants are really nice for hanging around camp or doing camp chores when the temps drop but probably less efficient as part of a sleeping setup compared to say, a properly rated quilt or bag. Definitely a plus in the versatility category though. From what you posted it sounds like they'll get you into the temp range you're after, the Borah's probably even more so.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools