Topic

Baselayer/mid layer question

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I am looking for some feed back on my layering system for a trip starting tomorrow.
So the temps look colder than I originally planned for. It is now going to be 35* rather than 45-50* dry with minimal wind since I am in wooded area.
I originally packed the following. Since I have used before at 43* with nice results
Cap 1 long sleeve
Heavyweight merino layer top
Houdini Wind jacket

Now I am wondering if this is better.
Cap1 long sleeve
Mid weight Fleece 1/4 zip
Houdini

I do have my Marmot quasar down jacket for stops and evening use.

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Lot's of elevation gain or relatively flat? If you're going to be doing a lot of hard hiking, both would be too hot for me personally, would only be able to wear it starting out.

Once i'm warmed up and exerting, a windshirt and a mid weight baselayer is good for me at that temp range.

On my last trip (the weekend before last), when i started out in the morning it was about 35 and i had in between a light weight and mid weight baselayer, a polypropylene fishnet, and a Houdini, and after about 15-20 mins i was already over heating and had to take off the windshirt, and as it warmed up temp wise, had to take off the fishnet too.

But if it's pretty flat and you're going at a moderate pace, then sounds like either should work ok.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...