Topic

lesser midlayer?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 9:19 am

I am trying to find out if there is a better midlayer than a R1 type. Soemthing that doesn't weigh 12oz but more like 8. Something that is not as warm as my R2 but warmer than my T baselayer. Should I go with the Capilene 4 and are there other things I should be looking at? Thanks.

Greg F BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 9:27 am

The MEC T2 base layers is slightly lighter weight than a Cap4. It is a grid fleece and fairly warm. There is also the MEC T3 which is slightly ligher than an R1 but heavier than a Cap 4 and a VEGA jacket which is slightly heavier than an R1.

I use it as a base layer for hiking around freezing. Weight is 180g for medium although MEC often under estimates weight. I haven't weighed mine (Blasphamy).

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 9:35 am

I am interested in that Power Dry High Effiency Cap 4 but not for the price!

Ben C BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

If you can get your hands on a MEC T2, I think it fits the requirements very well. I understand its the cap 4 fabric in a slightly lighter version. Mine seems to perform well. I paid $25 for a hoodie.

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 9:46 am

Another option for less-cold conditions is the Rab Boreas. My size large weighs 8.9oz on my scale.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 11:41 am

MEC looks nice but won't it cost a bunch for shipping and I still have to pay to join?

Ben C BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

Not sure, Brett. I did the group buy a bit back.

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 11:56 am

I love my new Patagonia Micro-D fleece. It's much warmer than what you're looking for and much warmer than your R1 but the weight is 8oz. That kind of warmth-to-weight ratio might win you over, so I'm mentioning it.

Someone else here recommended it to me and I haven't taken it off since the day I got it.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I am thinking of something I can wear over a base layer T and that will not be form fitting and fit a nice gap until I want to put my R2 on.

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm

How do you organize a group buy? I may be willing to do it, as I'm heading up to Vancouver, BC in a month. If it's not too complicated, and I don't have to buy everything with my own money up front, then I could probably do it.

Edit:
I read Konrad's group buy post from when he ordered online. I'll be going to the physical store in Vancouver, BC (I think they have 2 MECs, one in Vancouver and another in north Vancouver. I'll be going to the one in Vancouver (the more southern location). Whatever I did pick up for people would be limited to what they have in stock December 6-8 at that location.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...