I have a ULA Circuit, and I know I'm not alone in just loving the crap out of it. I feel like it is great for almost any trip I do, from UL overnights to multi-day mountaineering. I know that many folks have had their ULA packs for thousands of miles, and I really hope I do the same.
Every now and again in the PNW, I run into tough old climbers with McHale packs that are 20-30 years old and look brand new. It is obvious that these packs (which for the sake of this discussion we will consider the Gold Standard of durability) are made with the most burly materials, meticulous craftsmanship, and probably unicorn dust or something.
What I've been wondering is whether or not a frameless ruck, made in the same manner with the same materials, could last as long as a McHale pack, which has some sort of superior alien technology incorporated into the suspension. Does the frame and suspension contribute to decreased stress on the materials in some way, or would the same pack with no frame (not literally) also provide a happy hiker with decades of use? What do you consider the Gold Standard of durability in UL or frameless packs? What "weak points" exist in UL packs in regard to longevity?

