Topic

Best down parka features?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
PostedNov 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Hi all,

Looking at the Rab Neutrino, Rab Neutrino Plus, MHW Nilas class down parkas. Any comments on these or other similar warmth down parkas? From what I can tell, it seems the MHW Nilas is warmer (box const. in torso) than the Neutrino, but I sure do like the ~ 22oz weight of both of these. Thanks. Jon

PostedNov 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I’ve been keeping an eye out for one of these:
lyngen down750 jacket

At 539g (claimed fill weight of 250g IIRC), it looks very tempting. But, I haven’t seen many reviews of the current model. There’s a ColdThistle review of the older one, but it’s since been redesigned.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedNov 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I have not seen the Nilas but have seen both the Neutrino and Plus a while back and the Plus is a completely different ball game, the Plus has
About 60g more down than the Nilas/Neutrino so should be warmer but as I recall its a longer cut.

Its worth looking at the Montbell Permafrost also.

PostedNov 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Well those are worth looking into as well. Thanks!

Does the Montbell have a stowable pocket or a stuffsack that comes with it? Haven't found info on that yet.

Here's a BPL thread from a while back that sure made the Permafrost look pretty good. Richard N. took a pretty good look at it, it seems.

Jon

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedNov 6, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I have a Mirage and I agree with Rick its probaly good to -10c.

PostedNov 6, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I have a Mirage. It's really warm, especially for a 13 oz jacket. Standing around at 27F a few weekends ago I was totally warm and comfortable. I am sure it's good to 10-15 degrees lower than that with appropriate matching layers.

Before I got it I was concerned about the 7d fabric, but now that I have it I can't tell a difference between it and the 15d shell of my UL Down Parka. I've never torn a hole in any puffy so I'm not too worried about it.

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 8:07 am

Boy, it is really tough to beat that Montbell Permafrost. That just seems like a lot of performance/materials/construction for the cost.

Anybody know of any good deals on the Permafrost right now? I'm on the cusp of a XL with 44" chest, but would really prefer to get a large as when I buy XL stuff to fit in the shoulders, the 32" waist is swimming in extra worthless material. Any comments on the fit of this parka? Are they sized a bit large to allow for layering?

Thanks,
Jon

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

Jon, I'm a 41" chest and 34" waist and my size large Montbell stuff has some extra room in the chest. I think it'd fit you fine.

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 4:23 pm

More good choice seems to keep cropping up. Who has experience with the OR Maestro?

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Jon,
What attributes/features are important to you?
Light weight or durability? Lots pockets or minimal?

PostedNov 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

…is about the closest thing I've seen to what I am looking for. So I just ordered one from CampSaver. It's got the right combo, for me, of warmth, toughness (30d ballistic nylon gore windstopper fabric–the strongest nylon fabric, with the ballistic process applied) full box baffle construction and several pocket options and a hood that can be zipped on and off plus the totally separate high collar. Only thing that I don't know it has is a way to stuff it in one of it's own pockets.

Thanks for all the help and input. I think I would've spent more money for a lesser product if not for the advise received here. Much thanks, Jon

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Loading...