Topic

Footwear questions: boot, shoe, WP, trail runner?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Steve Zavoda BPL Member
PostedNov 6, 2013 at 7:50 am

I currently use merrel Moab ventilator shoes as while they're super comfy, they are a little hard on my big toe going down long hills. I can always tighten the crap out of them before the descent but it's kind of a pain to loosen everything back up at the bottom just to do it all over again next hill. Like I said, they're super comfy and fit perfect but just hard on hills. So I was thinking about getting boots for extra support but I always read peoples posts about not using boots. I understand that shoes are better for knee and ankle flex but the terrain I hike in it pretty easy. Mainly just hills with not much uneven ground. So I feel like worrying about joint flex is not a priority. And I was also thinking about getting WP boots that I can use for spring and early winter. Any suggestions on this whole idea or suggestions on different shoes maybe? Thanks

Edit: I actually mean mids, not boots. Thanks
Edit: also, I don't use any insoles in my shoes other than what they came with. Would that help or no?

PostedNov 6, 2013 at 9:34 am

I found that I could not keep my foot from slamming forward in the Merrills or Keens. I could tell even walking around in the store. I think it was the relative lack of support across the top of the foot. They were super comfy, but just not supportive enough to keep my foot in place for down hill.

The terrain is so rough in the NH mountains that I typically wear leather hiking boots, but for good terrain, I have a pair of lo-cut LL Bean Mountain Tread hikers:

Mountain Tread Hikers

These are Italian made heavy duty hikers. Not ultra light. Definitely a step up the robust scale from the Merrills and Keens. They are quite supportive, but they do take a bit of break in. GoreTex waterproof. Probably not for everyone, but I wear mine quite a bit on flat dirt trail hikes and for all around nasty weather around town stuff in the rain or slush or snow.

They also make a higher mid-cut higher version, but if you want something higher, I prefer their Cresta Hiker.

Both of these European made LL Bean hikers are available in narrow, normal, and wide widths — not easy to find in most brands.

Again, so much is individual. I’m sure that many ultralighters wouldn’t even consider something this substantial.


As for insoles, I doubt they would make much difference for your foot slamming forward issue, but they might. Personally, I wear SuperFeet insoles in every pair of shoes. I have crazy flat feet and SuperFeet have solved a lifelong problem with arch pain in sports shoes from tennis shoes to hiking boots to ski boots to skates.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedNov 6, 2013 at 9:51 am

If you are having trouble holding your foot back in the shoe during downhills, you can try using two laces on each shoe. One lace for the bottom 3 (or so) eyelets and another lace for the top 3 eyelets. It lets you adjust the tightness more precisely where you need it. From your description and my fit with Merrells, I suspect that if you crank on the lower eyelets, you could leave the top eyelets looser and more comfortable. Try that on one shoe while leaving the other shoe normal. Compare how it works for you with different tightnesses while going downhill. For the price of a shoe lace (or even just a bit of para-cord), you may find a solution. Besides, it an easy way to look like a uber-serious thru-hiker type.

Proof of Godwin's law:

How did Hitler tie his shoes?

In little knotsies.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...