I expected that, but I found I actually went there and back again! At one point, I owned a lot of gear, and a lot of it I wasn't using. Now, though, I do have one kit I take across all seasons!
It's got a few "extra" items past the one of everything philosophy, but it's more or less like the following:
-1 Tent (BA Fly Creek), 1 Tarp (MLD Hammock Tarp) and 1 Bivy (TNF Simple Bivy )
-2 Sleeping Bags, both MH Ultralamina. One is 15ºF, the other is 45ºF. Combined, I can take them to -15ºF
-1 Fleece, 1 Synth Puffy, 1 Down puffy, ~3 baselayers of varying weights, ~2 pairs of pants and 1 pair of shorts, and a bunch of socks.
-1 Windshirt, 1 Raincoat, 1 Rain Pants
-1 Cycling kit, including windproof stuff
-1 Titanium pot + Titanium wood stove
-2 Bike panniers, 2 backpacks (one 33L climber's pack and one ~50L frame bag for camping with others)
-1 pair of Altras, 1 pair of Vibram FF's, 1 pair of hiking shoes/snowshoeing shoes (Salomon)
And finally,
-1 Bike and 1 pair of snowshoes/poles
With this kit, I can go snowshoeing, canoeing, running, backpacking, thru-hiking, bike touring, and traveling. I don't really have redundancy, like a pot graveyard or a closet full of test jackets. If it can't extend to more than one season, I probably don't use it. I do have a couple of "In Limbo" items that have yet to find a new home, like my old sleeping bag, but they're on their way out.
I bet I own less than 200 individual items in my life. It can't just be me?!