Topic

Info on Patagonia Houdini sizing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Info on Patagonia Houdini sizing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Did you size up or size down?

Can't decide on a medium or large for my Patagonia Houdini.

I'm 6'2" and 159lbs, most of my height is legs with medium-wide shoulders. My waist is a 32 for reference. I wear a medium T-shirt and baselayer, but all my fleeces are Large. My Patagonia rain jacket is a Large, and it's big, but I need that roomy for an outer shell.

I want a close fit with the Houdini over a baselayer but I don't want it to be tight in the chest and I don't want a rise in the waist when I'm cycling. That being said, I don't want it to flap around. I have a flat stomach and my arms are not that big.

Thoughts?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Max, besides looking at Patagucci's detailed size charts (on their website, gives chest, waist, arm length, etc.), get thee hence to a sporting goods store that carries Patagucci and see for yourself. Everyone's proportions are just a little bit different, so if you're looking for the "perfect" fit, there's no substitute for a "live" trial! Anyone else's advice will be more apropos for THEIR body, not yours.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

One of these days I'm going to head to a tailor and get all my measurements, and write them down…

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Max…If your main intention is to use it for cycling, I would look at a cycling specific jacket. The fit will be more appropriate, will most likely have a bit of a drop tail, and will have scotchlite accents/etc.

Everytime I cycle in non-cycling gear I end up frustrated…I can't stand the wind flap!!!

-Mark in St. Louis

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I can't stand the wind flap!!!"

+1

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I've had a lot of bad experiences with cycling-specific gear. A lot of cycling stuff I've tried caters to one of two demographics:

Demographic 1: Casual riders, the elderly, and weekend warriors. This gear is hallmarked by terrible stitching, awful colors, logos that peel and crack off the garment, and cheap polyester. The fit can be described as "Morbidly Obese."

Demographic 2: The Velo. This stuff is high-quality, but everything is in Italian sizes and it costs upwards of $300 per item. This is for those guys whose hobbies include riding CAAD 10's exclusively and refusing to smile. The fit can be described as "Professional Horse Jockey."

Like a lot of things having to do with cycling, the majority of americans buy all their cycling gear at once, for one vacation, and then it sits in the garage for a decade. It doesn't matter what you price it; they will buy it.

I don't like cycling specific clothing. I can never find a middle ground between overpriced garbage and overpriced gems. Everything is just overpriced. Backpacking gear thrives in the median between quality and price, and companies like Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, and Smartwool make high-quality stuff at reasonable prices that still feel, fit, and perform better for me than the cheaper stuff.

Call me brand-loyal, call me prejudiced against my own kind, but you won't see me wearing Giordana or Look or Castelli or Gore. I'll take the backpacker's gear. Plus, when I do go backpacking about once or thrice a month, I'm kitted out!

(end rant)

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I'm 6'1" 145lbs. My 2009 Houdini is a medium. I tried on the newer one and it's slimmer, but I was still fine in a medium.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Thanks Jeff. I found a bunch of people in the reviews sections of a few sites who said "I usually wear a ___ and the Houdini in a ___ was perfect" so I picked my normal jacket size, large. Hopefully I don't end up parachuting my way across the Southwest.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I am 180# 5'11 and I wear a medium across the board for all Patagonia tops. The Houdini is no different. I found a large fit, but a bit flappy around the waist. Not too big of an issue with its excellent elastic cinches. Medium fits me like a glove, slim fit all around without restricting movement.

The 2013 Houdini is a little bit slimmer around the shoulders and chest as compared to the 2012, probably owing to being a "running jacket" as opposed to an "alpine jacket" as the older one was previously marketed and tailored. However, it still fits me fine, despite my climber's arms and shoulders.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

What I thought you had a squamish? As did I, I returned it to bc.com for a cheaper and way lighter montbell anorak 2.5oz, it is not overkill.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools