Topic

Camera Recommendations

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedNov 5, 2013 at 8:57 am

OK BPL brain trust. I'd like to hear some recommendations concerning a decent compact camera to carry. Would prefer it be small enough to fit in a waist belt pocket, but this is the one area where I am not necessarily limited by size and weight (within reason) as I really don't want to lug around a full body DSLR either. But, want something that will do the scenery I'm immersed in, some justice.

Any recommendations for a camera that is capable of capturing great outdoor scenes? Wide angle lens would be a plus as would some level of low light ability. Doesn't need to be the "rugged" types either. Preferably less than $400.

PostedNov 5, 2013 at 10:50 am

I purchased a refurb Nikon COOLPIX AW100 this past summer for about $160 and have been super pleased with it. It fits perfectly into the waist belt pocket of my Gregory Z55 pack. The camera includes GPS and water/shock resistance which is why I selected it (although I disable the GPS to save battery lift). It's my understanding there was a slight issue with the rubber gasket around the battery cover which is why many of the units were refurb.

PostedNov 5, 2013 at 11:29 am

I have an Olympus TG-1 waterproof (to 30 ft.) and shockproof camera is about the best of this type out there. It takes a 32 GB SD card and can shoot pretty good video as well.

Plus it can accept aditional lenses (non-waterproof) such as a fisheye, filters and a telephoto lens by removing a ring around the sealed lens.

This camera is a truly low light camera and it takes better pictures than any other point-and-shoot camera I've used. The several options for "art" effects are nice but I seldom use them. But optional settings for bright backgrounds such as white sand or snow really help.

The newer TG-2 is essentially the same camera with an increased depth maximum of 60 ft. Both cameras have an audible alarm when approaching their max depth

P.S. If you know of a military friend about to go in harm's way this is a great "soldier-proof" camera for a gift.

Diane Pinkers BPL Member
PostedNov 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm

If you like using zoom, I cannot say enough good things about this camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B0075SUK14

I received it last year for Christmas, and it has been super fun taking photos with it this last year. I am not a shutterbug at all, but I like to take decent photos when I want it. Has macro for wildflowers, and the zoom is AMAZING. Don't know what you consider to be appropriate for weight, but at 8 ounces while this one was twice as heavy as my old Olympus camera, it has more than made up for the ease of use. The only thing I'm a little unhappy with is the battery life, it could be better. I just make sure I pack a few spare rechargeables, and I keep the GPS turned off to save battery life.

Elliott Wolin BPL Member
PostedNov 5, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Although you mentioned less than $400, for not too much more you can get the very highly rated Sony RX-100. Zeiss lens, excellent quality photographs, about 8 oz. I too want something better than a cheap point-and-shoot but don't want to lug around an SLR, and the RX-100 fits the bill perfectly.

PostedNov 6, 2013 at 2:01 am

All great suggestions and I've looked at each of these. Thanks guys! If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...