Topic

Exped repair with neoair patch?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped repair with neoair patch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey all,

I have an exped UL7 that is in need of a repair and don't have a repair kit for it. Will a patch from my neoair work on the exped?

Thanks

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Pretty sure neither of them are silnylon, so the repair patches should work just fine from any sleeping pad.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

now all i have to do is find the durn leak.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

I just repaired mine last night…I hope. Got mine for $10 at the last REI garage sale and it had no leaks/punctures/tears at first (checked in the tub and by laying on it an hour or so)… until I used it in the field… and it went partially flat on me (used schnozzle bag).

Came back to check again for leaks, with more thorough tub test and soapy water test… no punctures, etc… but just the slightest leak coming from the deflation valve, from within the plugged area. I ended up just smearing some seamgrip down in there, then plugging it up.

It held up overnight with ~ 60 pounds sitting on it without deflating, so I hope that's that. I'll just stick my finger down the inflate one-way valve to deflate from now on.

Hopefully your leak is a puncture or something, it'll be much easier to fix than a valve leak like mine.

Best of luck to you!

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I got a flanker hole in mine when drying it over a fire. I noticed it only when about to sleep. I used Seam Grip and a tenacious tape, inflated it and used it immediately without any air loss that night. The same patch is still there many sleeps later without any issue.

Derrick

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Will a patch from my neoair work on the exped? "

How big is the hole?

For pinholes I just clean it and dab on cement.

A friend sent a Exped UL7 back for a repair and it came back with just cement.

YMMV

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

"drying it over a fire"

Living dangerously, I see….

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Terry, email exped and they will gladly send you a patch kit im the mail.

Check out their website for how to fix a leak. I don't know what kind of glue they use (propriatary?)but it works much better then there patches do. Their patches tend to curl or wrinkle dispite all attmepts to make sure they don't. I could be opperator error but I've patched a bunch of pads during my lifetime, YMMV.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

@Max. Yes we were living pretty dangerously on that trip, but not because we were drying gear over a fire. Leaving it wet would have been more dangerous. Did even more flanker damage to a brand new WM Flash Jacket having to dry it daily over a fire. Fall tripping in the Labrador wilderness with 6 straight days of 0C rain, freezing at night, and winds up to 70k is much more challenging on your body temperature and harder on gear than winter camping at -30C. So yes, even when you try to take meticulous care of your gear, some times you still gotta dry your Exped over a fire. Hehe

Derrick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools