oh the silly things we agonize over when we are bored
While you would think it would be more appropriate to ask this on Whiteblaze, I feel like the folks here will understand the origins of my question a little better. I'll be giving a thruhike of the AT a go in the spring, and I'm going back and forth on my shelter choice.
Option one- bug bivy/poncho tarp.
Option two- TT Notch
I'm leaning toward the Notch, because it is ridiculously awesome, but also because I feel like I will be less tempted to stay in town or rely on shelters with an easily pitched, roomy, dedicated shelter.
But, because I'm a hopeless nerd, the possibility of taking a pound of my baseweight is oh so tempting. This is supported by accounts of thruhikers saying they utilized AT shelters 99% of the time.
Do I really want to sleep in a shelter that often? Mice, snoring, and all the wonderful things that come with being with humans.
Any AT alum want to weigh in? This is sort of pointless because (A) I can just switch out at any point along the trail anyway and (B) it's only a pound…

