Topic

Can I get a Thermarest Z-Lite wet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can I get a Thermarest Z-Lite wet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I know this is an inane question, but I'm getting on a plane in a day, so I'm gonna be a nervous wreck until I'm "boots on the ground."

Hope someone doesn't mind saving me the trouble of testing and pops me a quick answer. Then the thread can die. Can I get my Thermarest Z-Lite absolutely soaked? Like, strapped to my bike for hours of prolonged rain? It won't soak any up because it's closed-cell, right?

I can't believe I haven't had it in prolonged rain yet… but I guess I haven't!

Thanks,
    Max

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm pretty darn sure that's right. You can get a Ridgerest soaked for hours and just shake it off, and I believe the Z-rest is the same foam.

I use a Ridgerest as a floor in my packraft and then sleep on it at night.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ok, good. That's what I figured. Thanks!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Most definitely Maximus :-)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

x2 what Dan D. said about his Ridgerest. Its bomber, the foam is more resillient to water/ scratches compared to my 1/8th ccf.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Yes, you could hold a z-lite underwater, pull it out, shake it off, and sleep on it. It will absorb very little water. Water will mostly cling to the cups in the z-lite, and to areas where the foam has been scratched, but it won't really soak in.

This is just the nature of closed cell foam. You should be good to go.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools