Topic

MSR Hubba NX

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Hubba NX

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/early-releases/hubba-nx/product

The Hubba is being replaced with the Hubba NX. Although 2" shorter in height, the tent is now 4" wider and 6 oz lighter.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice info. Looks like NX versions of the full Hubba line are coming out. Looks like a nice update.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a Hubba for awhile and kind of sorry I got rid of it but it was narrow providing just enough room to fit a single sleeping bag. Would either one of you buy this new version?

David Ure

@familyguy

I use a TT Notch now but this version at several inches wider now should get rid of the only complaint I had with my Hubba (apart from a little heavy).

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Probably a worse design for tall folk. Besides being an inch less length wise, the clipping system has been reworked which appears would make the walls less vertical decreasing actual usable space. I liked the length of the old one but it was too narrow.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I like my Hubba quite a bit.
    Sad to see the green color go on the new ones, it's one of my favoprite things about this tent ( I like the light color inside). I think the red/gray is ugly.

Space is a relative thing.
    I'm 6'2", 215 pounds, long size sleeping bag. Yes, the Hubba is small. But I don't find it too small. As it's double walled, brushing the sides doesn't matter. And if it's not buggy you can keep the door open with the vestibule shut for cooking. Sitting cross legged in the doorway facing the vestibule is plenty of space for me to do chores, read, whatever.

I really have a hard time imagining that an extra 4" width will make that big of a difference. I certainly wouldn't buy the new version to drop 6 ounces either.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Probably a worse design for tall folk. Besides being an inch less length wise, the clipping system has been reworked which appears would make the walls less vertical decreasing actual usable space."

I compared the two versions side by side (pictures) and the new version appears to have more vertical ends with the new pole structure. Hard to tell definitively, however.

Craig – yes, the Hubba is still my favorite 1 person, freestanding tent. Similar size, I never found it too narrow but a little extra width can't hurt. The vents on the fly will help – from what I understand, the space between the fly and inner tent has also been widened, promoting airflow.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

The poles on the new hubba are more like the BA CS ul1 now. That pole design, where the feet spread apart from the main longitudinal pole further from the ground, means the inner tent cannot clip to the pole structure where its most needed by the head and feet to open things up.

I prefer the CSUl1 to the hubba and have owned both, but wish the clip attachment points on the main pole were closer to the position of ones head and feet.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I think it looks quite good and I particularly like that manufacturers are starting to build their inner tents with partially solid sides. I can't see myself ever going back to a full mesh inner, so it's nice to have another tent to add to my "must check out list".

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Maybe I am wrong, but this looks like it is replacing the HP …or was it XP…style and that the mesh Hubba will remain. At close to $400 it isn't worth it. Get cuben for that price. Even the regular Hubba has less mesh ob the rear side,,,which I think is a better idea. If the back vestibule isn't tied tight enough, rain will bounce up inside. I know this because I was in a really bad rain storm in mine. Once I tied it tighter that little tent held tight and dry.

David Ure

@familyguy

The HP hasn't been sold in North America for 3 years. The NX is the replacement for the regular Hubba series. The fly "issue" you mention was rectified a few years ago with the longer fly design on the green models. You may see that on the new NX models, the fly is redesigned further with a semi side entry, rather than with a centre zip. Can you please direct me to a freestanding, double walled, cuben tent for $400 beans. I would be all over that!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Besides, none of us are paying $400. We'll all wait for our 20% off coupons, REI dividends, End-Of-Season sales, and gear swap stars to align and get one for half that.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I would still like to see a wider floor in this tent. I own the Hubba Hubba HP and it is narrower than I like. The few added inches aren't enough, in my opinion.

I'd prefer this shape (which I use in my myog tents)

here

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

If this is the replacement for the Standard Hubbu series, they're certainly marketing it in a funny way. To start with the price difference for the two person model is $60. That's almost a 20% price increase over last years model. I undestand that the materials in the NX model are lighter/more expensive, but that kind of a price hike is pretty uncommon. Add to that, both are on the website at the same time. Normally a the new model completely replaces the older on. I'm not saying you're wrong, but how they're introducing it seems a bit odd to me.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Well, four inches in any direction can make a big difference.
    Increasing the width to 30" is a major plus for the many who felt the old Hubba and some other 26" wide solo dome tents, like those made for REI, were coffin-like.

Unfortunately, the pic shows the height has been dropped to 36", too low for many. So with all the new low denier material, they are still taking from Peter to pay Paul.

Guess lightweight tent designing sturdy enough for the mass market must not be very inspiring. There is definitely a niche there waiting for a cottage maker who can get SUL material with a decent HH to make a dome tent. When they do, hope the frame is not hubbed. If there must be only one ridge pole, how about a Phreerunner design with one carbon strut on the ground at each end to hold the corners apart. (Similar to what TarpTent did with trekking poles on the Rainbow.)

Had thought that the Hubba came out before the Copper Spur, but could be wrong about that.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I undestand that the materials in the NX model are lighter/more expensive, but that kind of a price hike is pretty uncommon. Add to that, both are on the website at the same time"

The NX models are a different design. Different pole structure, vents on the fly, larger but lighter. Why would you keep selling an inferior design? As far as selling both, the link is for a limited early run of the NX before it goes on wider sale in early 2014. That is in print.

That price hike is not uncommon for a new and improved model. Hubbas have been enjoying price creep for years. Get ready for increases in the prices of all goods coming out of Asia. Most manufacturers are hedging against the inevitable depression of the USD for 2014.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I sent an email to Cascade Designs inquiring about the new Hubba and if it will replace the old version. I personally think $400 for a tent like that is so outrageous and unnecessary. Just my view.

David Ure

@familyguy

Good thing it isn't $400 then!

$339.

$5 cheaper than the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1, the direct competitor.

Outrageous!

; )

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

: )

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

MSR responded…yep….so long, old Hubba. NX is your replacement.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I wonder if more weight can be saved by sending the poles to Ruta Locura and getting a set of carbon poles made. I did that with my Fly Creek 2 and dropped 4.5 ounces. The sad think is I've never used that tent once.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I find it odd that the MSR Hubba NX is offered at 2 lbs 14 oz packed weight…

…while the MSR Carbon Reflex UL tent (non-free-standing, doesn't have the hubbed poles to the corners) is still offered at packed weight of 2 lbs 9 oz. And it is based off the brown/green Hubba with heavier fabric, odder yet.

Are there consumers that would forego freestanding for 5 oz weight savings? I wouldn't. If I could save 16 oz, then yeah; but I'd not trade freestanding for 5 oz.

And why not simply offer the carbon fiber poles for the new red/white Hubba NX? They could probably drop another couple ounces.

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

Delmar – that's so that after you buy a Hubba NX, you'll want to replace it next year when they release the carbon pole Hubba NX Carbon ;)

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Puzzled by a very negative review of Hubba NX at REI:

"The old fly design allowed for 100% versatility in pitching with the ability to open either way for wind/rain protection – ever notice how the wind swings 180* when a storm moves through? or slope/terrain conditions dictate the orientation of the tent. Yes I do have to reach out to work the zipper but I can change the fly for when that warm south wind and rain changed to cold north and snow."

I don't understand. I own the brown/green Hubba, and it only has one side door, which matches up with the one door in the fly. If I were to switch the fly around 180 degrees, I couldn't get in/out the tent door. What am I missing here? Is this post referring perhaps to a two-door version of the Hubba?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Delmar,
    With the Hubba design, new or old, the fly door can be staked out and the rest of the front vestibule folded or rolled up with a little fiddling. That could be what the reviewer had in mind, as it would allow the less wind exposed side of the front vestibule to be opened for ventilation. How important is that? What if the wind shifts back a few degrees after all the fiddling? Usually, if the rear of the tent is pitched into the wind, the fly door on the front of the tent can be zipped up a bit as originally designed to do for more venting.
    I think we can get a little over obsessive sometimes with tent fiddling. When the weather is really nasty, most people just want to get something up and in place as quickly as possible for protection, with the absolute minimum of fiddling.

That said, I'd like to harp some more about the 36" height. Unless you are a smaller person, you might find that very confining. Please try crawling into a 1P NX before you buy.

Since every ounce doesn't sound critical in your posts, you might want to look at the Marmot Pulsar 1P at: http://marmot.com/products/details/pulsar-1p
    The same basic design, more space, and still only around 3 lbs. Also, they give the HH of the fabrics at different points on the fly – no 'hide the ball' nonsense.
    If you're determined to go as light as possible for this type of design, the Big Agnes Copper Spur solo tent is also bigger than the NX, and even lighter. The compromise is with Big Agnes' less waterproof coatings on the fabric.

You can order the parts from Quest Outfitters to make carbon poles, or make even lighter ones as described in some of my threads you've posted on, so I know you've read them. But the Hubba two-hub design is a problem for carbon poles. Indeed, MSR's decision to drop the hubs from their carbon version of the Hubba speaks to that. Even with careful attention to reinforcements, carbon tubes just don't work well with hubs. After trying a number of carbon and carbon/alloy tubes with FibraPlex Hubs on an original Hubba, I finally had to use ferruled aluminum alloy Easton Nanolites (.344" OD) for the four spreader struts that project from the hubs in order to avoid further breaks. Luckily, I got these onto my friend's carbon Hubba poles before the struts had a chance to break in actual use; otherwise, our relationship might have suffered quite a bit.

Best of luck with your next tent purchase.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools