Topic

Bushwacking clothes “accessories”?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 9:26 pm

So i would like to get more into bushwacking, and i've pretty much given up on my UHMWPE fiber based winshirt idea.

I know a lot of people use thicker nylon for bushwacking, which makes sense since it's pretty tough stuff for the weight. However, i don't want to have to buy a whole bunch more clothes. What i do have though, might be actually quite good already.

I have a motorcycle, and i've supplemented my motorcycle gear with relatively cheap, cut protective clothing. For example, i have a pair of 100% dyneema sleeves that i wear on my arms and on my legs to add some extra protection. I also have a pair of 100% kevlar arm protectors with thumb holes, and another couple of pairs of mixed fiber (but with dyneema) protective arm sleeves with thumb hole which i can wear on both arms and legs. These were pretty inexpensive. The pure dyneema sleeves were around 9 dollars per each if i remember correctly, kevlar a bit less, and the mixed fiber one a bit cheaper than the kevlar i think.

Most of these are fairly light (especially the pure dyneema sleeves). I'm thinking they would make excellent supplemental or accessory additions to my current clothes system should i start to get into some serious bushwacking. I have a couple of nylon pants and shirts, but they are on the lighter and less heavy duty side, so if i add some velcro or similar to the sleeves, should add a lot of serious clothes and skin protection. Being essentially frugal for the most part, i want to preserve my clothes.

Anyone already doing this? If so, how has it worked, etc?

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I can't speak to dyneema, but can swear by the tri-blend used in Patagonia "baggie shorts", "baggie long pants", "baggie pullover". Something like 60% nylon, 21% polyester, 19% cotton. It didn't feel like a synthetic, it dried pretty quick, and was damn tough. Not SUL by todays standards, but in the 80's it was my go-to long pants for sun or wind and cool temps. And I'd layer it over exp-wt polypro for almost all 3-season use. For bushwhacking, it was as light as I can imagine working as well and lasting forever (I'm still using all of mine and have been for 30 years). Here in Alaska, I always have those or similar along when off trail in case I get into the alders – between treeline and brushline is a real thrash. Although I last used them in Italy so I could spend the day in shorts, but slip them over my shorts to go into a church or chapel I happened upon.

How tough? Descending icy slopes on Pyramid Peak in Desolation Wilderness in Winter, another ski tech took a tumble. He was always fanatic about his edges – always touching them up till you could carve shavings off your thumbnail. He took a lot of weight on one leg, pressed into the other ski edge. It shaved the leg hairs off his calf through the baggie pants but the pants themselves were untouched.

But you may well be onto a great idea – sacrificial sleeves to supplement and protect your underlying clothing.

Dustin Short BPL Member
PostedOct 31, 2013 at 1:30 am

I wear arc'teryx rampart pants and have been very impressed with them. The fabric they use is a very light but dense weave nylon that has a stiffness to it (crinkly as opposed to a nice drape). I think the stiffness and dense weave are the most important characteristics for bushwhacking gear. Snags are what cause rips and tears and if you can avoid that with a fiber that's got some strength, you'll be fine.

My ramparts have survived the desert scrub for a few years now with virtually no sign of damage or pulled threads (amazing when cat claw and manzanita is scratching your skin through the fabric).

I also had an old pair of Mountain Dew pants that were a 60/40 nylon/cotton blend with a dense weave that never snagged or tore until the fabric finally wore too thin (these were as reasonably close to a daily wear short as possible for 15 years).

Your sleeves should work really well. You'll probably find the lack of coverage on your torso to be the biggest drawback. When I bushwhack I tend to lead with my arms up and my torso takes the brunt of scrub, but your technique may be different.

PostedOct 31, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Thank you for the info David and Dustin. David, that Patagucci clothes sound pretty interesting–i'm guessing they probably don't sell that specific fabric or clothes anymore? I have a pair of pants that are 55% hemp and 45% polyester and they seem really durable, but they are heavy–would have to be wearing them all the time to justify bringing those pants–definitely don't want them in the pack.

Good point Dustin, one would have to protect the torso as well. I'm guessing a nylon shirt over the torso would help a lot plus extra arm protection.

I contacted a company today that sells spectra fabric, but apparently they only sell large rolls at a time and their only customers are the military so far, so no luck there. Otherwise, i could make a sort of half poncho vest out of spectra fabric to protect the torso.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...