Topic

Seriously…Zimmerbuilt packs are awesome….

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
chris smead BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hey guys,
Just wanted to share my awesome new backpack custom made by http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/
Seriously this guy is amazing.
I've been hoping for a lighter alternative to my beloved ULA catalyst. Yet I didn't want to sacrifice anything….So I thought this may be unrealistic. I was wrong!

After a handful of emails with Chris Zimmer, I started dreaming about a 2 lb waterproof pack big enough to hold a bear can sideways, with a big mesh pocket on the back, hip belt pockets, and stretchy pockets on the side like on the granite gear packs.
Chris responded to most emails within an hour or 2. And within a week, we went from an idea, to holding the pack in my hands!!!!! The price was reasonable as well. :)

The stitching is perfect. It looks higher quality than any mass produced pack I've ever seen. He recommended this Xpack material that I love. I don't know the stats on it, but it feels about 25% tougher than the dyneema on the catalyst, and is apparently waterproof to some degree.
The top is a drybag type closure.

I used it for the first time in Yosemite last weekend, and because of the dry conditions, I had to carry over 5 liters of water to the top of clouds rest from the valley floor. I peaked at 35lbs with water and cold weather gear. It carried like a dream. :) I only spent 3 days out there, but so far there's no signs of wear.
It's definitely my favorite piece of gear now. I'm thinking of having one made for my wife was well. Here's some pics:

12

chris smead BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Btw, those side stretchy pockets are like bottomless pits. I stuffed in a jetboil ti, OR helium, MB Versalite pants, and my tent poles into one side, and a 2 liter evernew water bottle into the other side. No problem. :)

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I got my pack a couple weeks ago. Good to know it will carry over 30 lbs. My winter/fall pack.

pack

chris smead BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I opted for the aluminum stay, and yeah I was surprised how well it took 35lbs. Definitely a safe load to carry.

At home I packed it with 38lbs and it held up fine structurally, but didn't transfer enough of the weight to my hips so my shoulders might get a little sore after a while.
But I'd trust it with 35-36lbs no problem. :)

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedOct 31, 2013 at 5:56 am

I have only tried to see if all the gear I would bring for a normal snow camp trip would fit, I did go off of the size of my 20 + year old Epperson pack. I weighted my gear before ordering, surprised I am under 38 lbs. Tie points and a loop are not placed too well from the way I thought they would be in emails exchanged with Chris. I should be able to make them work, kinda hard to explain in an email how or what type of attachment point you want. I want to be able to tie my "shoes on the back and the blade part of my snow shovel to the top. He was very generous with strap material. I could shave a tad of the weight by cutting some of that off when I know how much I'll be using. My pack weights 33 oz. With the 12" long side pockets and the large front pocket, Im at over 5,000 cu inches again, top loader with a few compression straps in case I have too much volume.
Duane

HkNewman BPL Member
PostedNov 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm

If you know what you want in the UL sphere, the quality of those packs are pretty awesome.

PostedNov 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm

The build quality of his stuff looks awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the multiple panel design because I think it's redundant but I guess it's a fairly standard way to go. Are the seams sealed at all? Seems a shame to use waterproof Xpac and not seal seams. Do you happen to know what type of Xpac he used?

Jeffs Eleven BPL Member
PostedNov 2, 2013 at 10:34 pm

He uses VX03, 21 and i thing 33?

I believe thats right, but its from memory, so…

They aren't seam sealed, but I have been wanting to do it myself

PostedNov 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Love it. Very good design and materials.

I'd only change it by adding a removable top lid W/ zippered compartment so I could use it as a fanny pack for side trips away from camp.

Thanks for this post. Now Zimmerbuilt is on my list so I won't have to mod a production pack.

BTW, what are the stays made from and how are they positioned? (parallel or V shape?)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...