Topic

Making a Cup from Ground Coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Making a Cup from Ground Coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You want these?

.bags

or this?

.filter

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hi again Delmar! the coffee bags that K.J. is using are not at all like the one's I purchased at Whole Foods in Seattle; theirs are about twice as long and don't require a hat pin, or whatever that is, to hold it up. The excess just hangs over the edge of the cup or pot similar to the string and tag of a tea bag.

And unlike the metal mesh filter that Doug in the previous post offers, these have virtually no bulk and don't require that the grounds be scattered all over the countryside. Not only that, but the filter has to be rinsed out…where do you do that, in the lake? Right. Who wants to wiki-up where it smells like a moldy, rancid French roast land fill? In a high density area like the Puget Sound, multiply your actions by about a million and you'll quickly see what a grievous impact any non-LNT practices will have. Just use instant (Via), coffee singles, or make your own coffee bags and pack 'em out. 'Nough said. Happy trails!

scree ride

@scree

A couple of grams on the heavy side. I wound up using this everyday. I don't skimp on my coffee.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

drifting …

Taking your AeroPress up another notch at home –

Poly filter and Inverted

… end drift

jrentas8137

@jrentas8137

I recall my first camping trip with my grandfather. Coffee was made in a metal kettle and a sock…seriously…from his own foot (although, he did clean it in the river).

We used coffee grounds. Had to let it sit for a few but came out decent.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

…and who is to say that 'eau de foot' would not add its own special je ne sais quoi?

Funny and clever solution! Do coffee grounds in your sock alleviate blisters, by chance?

http://www.wildernesswayschool.com/IMAGES/SockCoff.JPG

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Hmmm – thinking of trying a mugmate and/or this GSI thing I saw at REI – silicone pour through – folds up neatly making it a little more manageable – still needs a filter but that isn't a big deal I don't think…

http://practicaltravelgear.com/wp-content/uploads/gsi-coffee-drip.jpg

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Make the cone from parchment paper.cone Adjust the hole size based on your grind and desired strength.

Use standard coffee filterfilter

Insert cone then filter into a cup. I use this bottle for food hydration and my water bottle, so it is not an extra item.cup

Loaded and ready to go.read to pour

Drink me.drink me

Toss the grounds in your trash bag. Rinse the filter and reuse. The parchment will last for weeks if you don't tear it while inserting it into the bottle.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> even if you use the bottle for coffee only, after about a week it will take on a
    > rancid odor no matter how carefully you wash it in the field.
    The word 'rancid' applies to fats, not to coffee.
    But you could get some mould in there over time if you seal the bottle with the cap.
    Do coffee cups smell after a week in your pack (or on the shelf at home)? Nope, but they are not sealed. So – leave the cap off so the insides dry out and all will be well.
    Yes, this means that leaving your water bottles open at home (protected from dust of course) is also a good idea.

Cheers

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Deleted negative comment.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

One time on a outing one of the kids was complaining about how something tasted, so I offered to try it. Which I did until it was gone. Then they asked what else there was to eat. No one complains about "funny tastes" anymore.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Taste may be better with pour-through, but steeping means less coffee carried and more flavor/caffein extracted."

+1

When all is said and done, cowboy coffee remains the simplest, lightest, and most efficient way to brew a cup of real coffee in the backcountry. With a little practice, one can determine with considerable precision how much coffee is required,
    how hot the water needs to be, and how long to steep the brew to achieve maximum flavor without bitterness. For the more fastidious among us, most of the floaties can be skimmed off the surface with a spoon, and the rest either swallowed or strained out with the teeth.

A finer point for cowboy coffee afficionados: When purchasing for brewing at higher altitudes, have the vendor grind the coffee finer to expose more surface area to the water for a more efficient extraction at lower water temperature, saving a small amount of fuel in the process. For the Sierra above ~10,000' I have them grind it one setting coarser than espresso. Cleanup is the essence of simplicity; scrape the spent grounds from the cup under a bush and scratch them into the soil, or bury them shallowly there. The bush will love you for your kind consideration. Or simply dig a cat hole and treat them as you would your own "grounds". ;0)

Edited: Then rinse the cup out and either dry or use it for your cereal or whatever.
    Do make rinsing and drying the last step, however, whatever else precedes it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If you still want to drink or eat out of this bottle at the end of the week, your sense of smell and taste is outta wack and you might want to get yourself a medical checkup."

Hmmmmm….Been doing just that for years, using my very wide mouth Nalgene for coffee, cereal, and Perpetuem during the day, and I can still tell the difference between Starbucks and Peets, blindfolded. My doc seems to think I'm doing fine, too, given what I have to work with. I don't know about my taste, though. Never been accused of having good taste. ;o]

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I went backpacking with a guy from Japan and he had a similar (to the JSI one above) little coffee filter that was mesh, reusable, flexible and would sit on top of your cup, not on top of a special cup. He was into making and modifying gear, so perhaps he made it. I should have asked him about it. The nice part was it was flexible so after your coffee was brewed, you just turned the filter fabric inside out and rinsed.

Cowboy coffee works really great and is the easiest method, but clean-up is a bitch because the coffee leaves a fatty residue in my pot that is hard to clean. I like to bring instant coffee and add it to a protein powder drink. Not as warming as real coffee, though.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools