Topic

Thru-Hiking Alaska’s Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Thru-Hiking Alaska’s Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Maybe the best trip report I have ever read on BPL, thanks!

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

You are one tough and adventurous young lady that any grandpa would be proud of!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
    It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Slow Walker

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Very impressive! That is one of the best articles I have ever read on this site.

Kristin Tennessen
    BPL Member

@ktenness

Locale: Bay Area

Kristin, you are amazing. Thanks for sharing your story. This is one of the best articles I've read, ever. I am so proud of you. Thanks for the inspiration.

Francis Tapon
    BPL Member

@ftapon

Locale: Earth

Alaska is the only US state that I've never been to. When I go, I want to follow Kristin's footsteps. No quick drive through Denali NP. No, go all in.

I love the mosquito pic. I've sent it to all my African friends who claim that there's "a lot" of mosquitoes where they live! Ha!

CONGRATS!

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

This is inspiring me to get out and backpack again!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Virtual high-five KB Gates! Ok, ok, I admit it: You're not a greenhorn. Hope the dogs are treating you well!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I'm a fellow Alaskan and have seen a good portion of our State including some of the area you were in but never by hiking it and I loved your write up. Well done, and kudos to you for having the courage and perseverance to do a hike like that. You are amazing.

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure. Awesome and inspiring. Congratulations!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What an epic journey. Definitely one of the best trip report articles I've read on BPL. Way to go!

Sparky Millikin
    BPL Member

@smillikin

Locale: Vermont

Truly inspirational, Kristin. One of the best I've read on BPL. Thanks so much for sharing.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Thank you for sharing your epic journey. You must feel amazing!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow. Bravo!

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

What a beautiful journey!

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

Agree with the other comments. Quite inspirational, enjoyable and such an admirable accomplishment. Well written and fun to read. Wish you the best.

Sean Craig
    BPL Member

@stcraighotmail-com

Locale: Western NY

Wonderful story, an accomplishment that inspires! Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Michael Reed
    BPL Member

@michaelr42

Locale: Betwixt the Ozarks and Ouachitas

What a great story. My accomplishments are pretty insignificant in comparison.

Richard Ostheimer
    BPL Member

@rickostheimerbpl

Congratulations on your epic trek! Although I heard you describe this trip at the ALDHA-W Gathering this fall, I thoroughly enjoyed the write up. It's been 13 years since I joined a group from the Sierra Club for a trek in the Brooks Range from "the road" to Anaktuvak Pass. This was in early August, 2000. I was amazed that there was only one day of the two week trip when we were bothered by mosquitoes. I was also impressed with how quickly the weather can change. After we'd set up our dining shelter with the rear toward the wind, the wind shifted 90 degrees from West to North and a two day blizzard ensued during which we holed up in our tents. There was one book among the 8 of us and I remember tearing apart sections and passing them around. When we finally headed out again, there was 18 inches of wet snow in the pass we'd been headed to. We took turns breaking trail. I fell totally in love with the Arctic. Your write up inspires me to make another trek up there, though I'll need to hike with a group for safety since I'm a senior citizen.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Incredible Lost. Can't wait to see where you take your Packraft next year.

Francis Tapon
    BPL Member

@ftapon

Locale: Earth

Kristin,

Your accomplishment is remarkable and amazing! Bravo!

It doesn't seem you read these comments, but it would be great to know why you chose the Yukon Border as the starting point and not the Arctic Ocean?

I suppose to avoid dealing with Canadian authorities + shortening the trip a bit, but perhaps there's another reason.

Regardless, doing the Brooks Range has been a lifelong dream for me, so I'm utterly inspired and impressed by your solo adventure. Keep it up!

Francis

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

Re-read and re-appreciated, thank you. RJ and BPL, I wonder what adventures author has been up to since?

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools