Topic

Borah bivy modifications

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I'm going to order a Borah bivy, side zip, in Argon. I've heard people allude to John doing custom modifications and have seen pictures of these mods:

This has a face mesh panel rather full mesh head area:

Net window

This has a vertical mesh panel added down the middle:

Center vent

I've read where one person was concerned whether the attachment point on the mesh might not be strong enough and had another attachment point made on the fabric just below the bottom of the mesh.

Is this a good idea?

What modifications should I consider before ordering the stock Borah?

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 4:39 am

I added the mesh to mine running across chest area. I also added top corner tie out points.
These two mods made a huge difference in comfort.
The extra mesh helps nicely with condensation and the top corner tie outs let you adjust the mesh over the face much better.

I have had no real issues with quality or the mesh wearing. But I only have 6 nights on mine so far.

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2013 at 7:12 am

Kevin – I assume that your vent panel ran across your chest in the same direction as the green-color one in the picture above.

Did you have the full-head mesh as is standard in their bivys?

How many inches below the bottom of the end of the mesh top, and how wide, was the chest panel mesh you added?

I wonder if the vertical mesh panel as seen in the pink panel would work the same?

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 7:46 am

Hi there,
Maybe I can help answer some of your questions regarding netting modifications.
If you are ordering in Argon(or M90 for that matter), you will not need any sort of extra vent. If you notice one thing in common about any of the modified bivys with chest vents, they are all in M50.
The runs of M50 towards the end of us using it were lacking in breathability compared to the early runs. It got to the point that it was no longer useful for a bivy, so we stopped using it, and replaced it with the much more breathable Argon (which is also slightly lighter)
The top picture you posted, the net window mod, some people find quite useful if using under a small tarp. It helps block splashes from the head end as well, and it is a free modification.
Anyways, like I said, no need for chest vents to aid in breathability these days, as all the fabrics we use now are breathable enough that you should experience no condensation. Hope I helped!
Thanks!
-John

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 9:20 am

I had not noticed John had discontinued the M50 option.
He is right that M50 breathes poorly.

It is still my opinion that you need tie outs
On each corner but ymmv

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 11:35 am

Kevin, can u elaborate more on the corner tie outs? Are these for pulling the fabric off of ur face and thus would be tied out above you or are these going out to ur stake out points for the tarp and in addition you would have another loop in the mesh for pulling the mesh off of ur face?

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I pull the bottom tight using 4 corner tie outs. This allows me to get a higher pitch on the netting since the bottom does not pull up as bad.
Plus if I am on a slope I can move my sleeping pad up "the hill" much easier.

I do use a piece of shock cord to pull the netting up to a tie out point on my tarp.
I also added another tie loop just under the chest netting at the foot end, center. So I can get the whole top of the bivy lifted if the humidity gets really high. And it keeps the M50 up off my bag.
The bivy weighed 6.3 oz when I received it. It now weighs 7.5 oz.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...