Topic

Momentum 50 for Hammock body?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Joe Medlin BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Subject contains the real question. New to hammock camping in general but looking to make my own ultralight hammock so curious if this would work for the hammock to save weight. I am 6'1" and 175 pounds. I will probably have 100 more questions between now and the time I try my own quilt but my obvious search is something lighter then 1.1 ripstop and with the M50 at .69 I figured it was worth considering (and being educated on why it might be a bad idea). Please help and feel free to suggest other materials that would be lighter and potentially useful for a hammock.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2013 at 4:54 am

Joe,

I have seen 3-4 M50 hammocks in the last year. They all held but only for around 20 nights or so. I think your best bet would be one of the 20d fabrics like M90 or the Pertex that Zpacks sells. So far they are the lightest fabrics that have held up consistently.

Ryan

Kattt BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2013 at 5:04 am

The Hennessy Hyperlite is made with 30D high tenacity, high thread count nylon taffeta with heavy duty ripstop . That seems like very light and fairly durable material. I cannot imagine the Momentum holding up, as others have said.

CW BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2013 at 6:13 am

I'd be scared to use that at my 135 lb weight. FWIW – a single layer of 1.1 oz rip will support up to 200 lbs. Above that and you have need to go to 1.7 oz or two layers of 1.1 oz.

That's pretty standard across the board for hammock builders. Of course you can do what you want at your own risk. :-)

Joe Medlin BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2013 at 7:02 am

I appreciate the feedback! I don't want to do something stupid so just needed someone to tell me no (one of those things that looks good on paper). 1.1 is probably what I will do at the end of the day but as a followup question are all 1.1 ripstops created equal Common sense tells me no but what do i need to be looking for? Prices very so greatly and with the weight being equal my next factor is of course price but again am I dropping the ball by not considering other criteria?

CW BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2013 at 8:06 am

I'd expect anything from a reliable source to be fine. OWF, Thru-hiker, Rocky Woods, DIY Gear Supply, etc, etc.

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I made one a while back and I got maybe a dozen nights out of it before it gave out and dumped me on my butt in the middle of January on the AT in the snow. Luckily a couple of the guys I was with decided to sleep in the shelter instead of setting up their hammocks so I was able to borrow one for the night. I was around 175 at the time.

There are a handful of people over on hammockforums.net that have made them, not sure if they're still holding up or not. You could always pop over there and ask around.

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Non calendared ripstop nylon might be slightly better than the calendared, it will be both a bit stronger and a bit more breathable on average.

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Best source is Backwoods Day Dreamer. Scott is a super nice guy, and still offers the 1.1oz uncoated non-calendered stuff.

I've been using my single layer hammock made from the original Camo fabric for a few years now. Killer comfy stuff.

PostedOct 30, 2013 at 7:14 am

Brief thread drift.

Hi Javan, i was wondering why you don't make quilts anymore? I bought one of your quilts off a member here, and it's pretty nice, so was just curious about that.

CW BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 8:45 am

He got bored/tired of it and moved on to making knives. :-)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...