Topic

Squall 2 front pole options advice request

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Steven Adeff BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 11:11 am

I recently purchased a second hand Squall 2, I'm not a pole hiker so I need to buy one of their "substitute" poles. The have two options, one is a lighter weight pole where two are required, the other is a heavier pole but only one is required (which also provides more entryway room.

I don't know the weights so I don't know if two of the lighter ones is lighter or heavier than a single of the heavier one, but I have heard the two pole solution provides for a more stable setup.

Has anyone any experience with both, or either, options that could provide some real world experience? I know it's only $15 difference and I could just buy both, but if I can avoid the headache with some advice it might be useful…

thanks!

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

The new Vertical Support Pole (12.4mm) is 4 oz
The Substitute Front Pole is (8.6mm) 2 oz
You get the details clicking on the product name (Substitute Front Pole) on the order page

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 12:01 am

When I used a squall 2 I found the 2 pole setup made a "doorframe" when angled outward and provided more room to enter. When using one pole, it cut the entrance in half and was more of a hassle to squirm around.

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I like a taught pitch, especially in wet weather with silnylon, and you will want the stiffest dual pole setup you can get. I bought a Squall 2 with the Aluminum 2 poles and they re a bit flimsy. I love my 2 GG LT4s or Komperdell poles. 1 trekking pole is sufficient but 2 is much more stable.

Steven Adeff BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 8:37 am

so it sounds like the lighter poles for decent weather and two of the heavier poles for incliment weather.
are the 45" long enough for a taught pitch, or should I look into getting something longer? they have 48" or I can look at custom making poles…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...