Topic

Guadalupes in December?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Guadalupes in December?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey Guys… Any insight on hiking the Guadalupes in early December?

Looking for someplace to head before the winter gets too far along here in STL.

Any advice/routes/etc. much appreciated.

Figure 3-4 days, any routes/suggestions with 12-20 miles a day.

TIA
    -Mark in St. Louis

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I am new to texas and also want to head to the Guadalupes…..

Let me know if you come up with something good. :)

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Jennifer…Will do.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this discussion, unfortunately.

I know Eugene and a couple other guys have posted trip reports in the past.

I was hoping to go in November, but my hiking partner can't free up his time until Dec.

I'm sure, much like my last trip (Massive/Elbert), I'll just wing it…oh well.

With the water situation there I'm thinking some kind of zig-zag route that allows dropping out near a campground or ranger station to take on water would be ideal.

I need to start pouring over the maps and searching the internets…

-Mark

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Mark and Jennifer,

I'm interested if it can be scheduled before or after an upcoming trip to Dallas, likely mid-December. Keep me in the loop please.

I visited Guadalupe NP about five years ago and recall that there is one "natural" water point in the entire park. The Park Service campgrounds have taps. Be sure to include a hike up Guadalupe Peak – highest point in Texas, very easy hike unless the winds are impossible, and scenery unlike anything I saw in 25+ years in Texas.

Richard

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

My brother does a lot of dual sport motorcycle riding in big bend and Guadalupe…we've been talking about trying to work out a route where he could either cache water for me or to plan campsites where we would camp together…and he could haul the water.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Go to BigBendChat.com, they have a lot of folks who hike the Guadalupes and there is a dedicated section for discussions on GUMO.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/gumo-general-discussion/

You should be able to get some advice there.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Thanx for the heads up!

-Mark

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Let me know as well if you are doing this on the first weekend in early December. I have 2.5 days off and would come from the West of the Guads. I have to be gone PM Sunday, on the road at dinnertime, .. due to work early, early on Monday. Would like to hike with more fellow BPLer's even if only partially on the trip.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

Regardless of time of year, water is a concern in the Guadalupe Mountains. My experience there is primarily from spending a week there more than 20 years ago, but…

My recollection is that the majority of the high country has no reliable water sources, so if you are going to pack into the higher elevations, you will need to carry all of the water you will need for the duration.

Guadalupe Peak is a great day hike if the weather is clear enough for a clear view once you reach the top.

McKittrick Canyon is beautiful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools