Topic

Garmin Geko 301 question

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 27, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I recently purchased a Garmin Geko 301 off of Gear Swap. Awesome unit which has everything I need with the exception of a good way to connect to my Mac. The unit was sold with a Belkin USB to Serial adaptor. Unfortunately Belkin doesn't have a driver for Mac. I already have $55 invested into this GPS and accessories so I'm at the upper limit of what I want to spend on this unit already.

I'd be willing to bite the bullet and buy a Mac compatible adaptor but am concerned that there will be compatibility issues and then be out an additional $40.

The largest reason that I'm going through all this trouble is that I volunteer with SAR and would like to download GPX files and email it to our command center after a mission.

I really like this GPS and am not too concerned about upgrading to an Etrex whatever for maps, GLONASS, or WAAS but might just so I can access these GPX files.

Bottom line any BPL Mac users running OS X Lion 10.7.5 who are successfully downloading GPX files from a Geko and if so, how?

Mike In Socal BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 12:05 am

I've connected a 201 (which I have since sold) to my Mac. I'll check on what cable/software I used and will post back.

Mike

Edit: I used a Serial-to-USB cable with a PL2303 chipset in it (ebay $7), a Garmin Serial etrex serial cable (ebay $10), and the LoadMyTracks software (http://www.cluetrust.com/loadmytracks.html).

I saw that there is now a combo USB/data cable for the 201/301 but I've never used it. http://is.gd/TvmOEK

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 5:23 am

Are you using software to connect with the GPS? Or just hoping to drag the GPX files off?

Much of the time Macs don't need drivers. I have a Geko 301. I've never tried to connect it to my Mac, but I did some reading a while back and I thought the main hang up was the scarcity of programs that recognize the Geko.

The software MW refers to is a free small download, so I suggest downloading that and seeing if it works:
http://www.loadmytracks.com

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 6:30 am

Mike,

I can't thank you enough! I appreciate you taking the time to share your insight.

Ian

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 6:32 am

Hi Dan,

I'd be fine with just accessing the file itself but right now my hardware isn't compatible. I'd like to be able to upload waypoints from my Mac to the GPS but I can get by with just manually entering them into the GPS.

Thanks,

Ian

Edit: I was able to download loadmytracks. Thanks again you two as I was unfamiliar with this program.

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 31, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Update for those who run into the same problem with their Mac/Geko:

I ended up ordering both the adaptor cable and the USB/data cable.

The USB/data cable showed up today http://is.gd/TvmOEK. Plugged it in without success. I ended up downloading a PL-2303 driver for the Mac, restarted the computer, and voila! MW I can't thank you enough for nudging me in the right direction!

I still have the USB/serial w/ PL-2303 chip coming so I can't speak how that works yet.

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 31, 2013 at 7:57 pm

"but I did some reading a while back and I thought the main hang up was the scarcity of programs that recognize the Geko."

Dan,

I've been able to upload and download waypoints from caltopo with no problems so far.

Edit from googling, it sounds like they offer some layers for the Canadian Rockies but I haven't played around with them to see the extent of the coverage or how well they work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...