Topic

Mountain Hardwear DryQ Elite guarantee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountain Hardwear DryQ Elite guarantee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Has anyone had any experience with the Mountain Hardwear DryQ Elite guarantee?

I noticed they are offering a GoreTex-like guarantee on the performance of their DryQ Elite garments. Has anyone had to use this to get a refund or am I going to be SOL if they are clammy and leaky?

Of course I hope they perform as advertised, but the extra lining material and non-taped seams make me a little skeptical. Still I am willing to give them a shot based on the reviews.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No experience so far, but my understanding is that it's basically eVent with their own combo of face/shell and lining fabrics.

Odd that it's not taped seams. Are they otherwise seam sealed? If they use a liquid spread on type seam sealer, it might not be obvious to the eye.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My DryQ Elite jacket (MH Quasar) has taped seams.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

In this case it's a pair of shell pants. The full side zips use a storm flap, but they are not taped and they are not of the water resistant variety.

They also have a nylon lining that is sewn to the face fabric/laminate instead of sandwiched like most eVent and GoreTex backers. Hopefully the rest of the seams are sealed? Unfortunately you can't see them due to this nylon lining.

You can read all the interviews and press releases to make your own determination about if this is eVent or not. I'm not concerned with that as long as they perform just as well or better. If they fall short, I want to make sure I'm not out $175.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Which pants are you talking about, that construction sounds odd for MHW? Also if you buy from REI or Backcountry.com they have great guarantees regardless of manufacturer (although REI has dropped to one year).

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

FYI, Backcountry dropped to one year too. They did the same day REI announced their change, just without an announcement or any fanfare. In fact, you wouldn't know it changed unless you read really closely in the fine print.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My experience tierh MH "breathable waterproof membranes" has been very poor. Might as well wear kitchen ruber gloves. And the MH rep I talked to at a trade show steadfastly denied ANY problems with ther membrane. NOT good.

But I've never tried their new Dry Q Elite products. You may want to wait awhile to see how other "early adopters" fare with it.

To me MH has had a spotty record for good products. I once bought their "Phantom 32" down bag and when I got it home was sorely disappointed with the lack of loft. I returned it unused to REI and got a Western Mountaineering Megalite. Now THAT is a geat bag. More money to be sure but excellent loft and warmth.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

DQ Elite is simply Event + MHW's fabrics (100 % sure; it's in the GE presskit from a few years ago).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools