Topic

Moment DW Stakedown Integrity

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedOct 25, 2013 at 9:30 am

I've been intrigued by the Moment DW and the apparent ease of setup via 2-4 stakes. However, I'm having trouble envisioning this tent in above treeline winds. This past summer I climbed Mt. Baker and at the Hogsback basecamp the wind kicked up one night and blew two tents away. My Copper Spur UL 1 was staked and guyed at 8 points and remained solid. I'm not talking about sidewall deflection that can be attenuated by the optional crossing pole or the trekking pole reinforcement at either end. I'm talking about the lack of actual tent corner stake downs and the possibility of catastrophic launch. I've seen some videos here of the DW in wind and it seemed solid, but mountain winds can be wildly unpredictable. Does anyone understand the design well enough to explain how or whether the 4 stake configuration precludes the need for any additional tiedowns? It makes me wonder why the similarly designed akto has stakes and stake points at four corners of the tent in addition to another 6 around the tent. Thanks!

PostedOct 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm

If your Moment looks somewhat like this :
A bad Moment
it will fail in very moderate winds.
on the other hand if it looks like this :
an evening Moment
A Norwigian Moment
A US Moment
it will take strong winds without budging.
The first shot is a slightly exaggerated version of some of the set-ups I have seen but not by much.
Think of a tent canopy as you would of a sail. Keep it taut and it will perform, let it loose and it will fall apart.
So how does a Moment stand up to winds with 4 pegs only ?
The shape mostly allows that but also the tension that can be applied at the Pitch Lock corners is crucial in keeping the tent taut and therefore stable.
Of course you need to be able to set them up correctly otherwise obviously they will not work.
This is how they should look :

Note also the very strong anchoring points I use, so on snow poles and snowshoes otherwise I add rocks/sand bags to the ends and attach the side guylines to shrubs/rocks/logs/sand bags.
BTW, plenty of photos of correctly set up Tarptents in the Tarptent gallery

http://www.tarptent.com/gallery.html

PostedOct 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks so much, Franco. I was having trouble reconciling the DW's stake count and wind suitability. Your explanation about tent shape and quality of anchors is most helpful. And looking at some of those pictures reinforces the need for a taut pitch and quality anchors. It seems like it isn't necessarily the number of stakes that is most important, but how well they are secured in the ground, snow, etc.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedOct 25, 2013 at 10:58 pm

> It seems like it isn't necessarily the number of stakes that is most important,
> but how well they are secured in the ground, snow, etc.
Absolutely!

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...