Topic

Why Doesn’t Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why Doesn’t Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Why post at all Bob?"

It's free, and it keeps me off the streets at night.

I've had a paid subscription, and I've had a free subscription. Except for the money, I didn't see much difference until I got the Asphalt Sealing offer.

–B.G.–

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I always figured they and other manufacturers did not seam-seal the shelters because:

1) some people don't want the seams sealed.

2) it adds weight, which then would need to be added to the product weight, and in the gram-counting world that would be a competitive disadvantage.

3) it would raise the price, again a competitive disadvantage.

Brandon Richards
    BPL Member

@zendragon

Locale: Southern Arizona

"I post something about seam sealing a tent, and then this banner ad pops up about Asphalt Sealing."

Get an addon for your browser called Disconnect, should prevent that sort of invasive tracking. Ad block plus helps as well.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I think I once read on the Sixmoons site that too many people had problems about the look of the sealing job so they just gave up trying to make every nitpicker happy.

Also, they would have to publish a higher weight for their products.
    It's easy enough to do (and fun).

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

Manufacturers don't seam seal silnylon tents because there isn't a tape that will adhere to silnylon. The big manufacturers always use nylon that has a PU coating on the underside for that reason. It's one good reason to go with a cottage manufacturer because silicon strengthens the nylon but PU can weaken it.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

well, there does exist such a tape (see Roger) but it's hard to find and expensive.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

All silnylon tents from BearPaw WD come seam sealed (no extra cost).

If you live in a 1-bedroom apartment where there is not enough room to pitch a tent, having the option to pay extra for seam sealing is nice. Or if you're trying to seam seal a tent during a PNW winter (where you may never have enough dry days in a row).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Indoors isn't so good – solvents evaporate and probably won't kill you, but…

Garage is good. Covered patio. But many people don't have good place…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I used Silnet from the tube on my new Moment DW and it looks like Dale's seams. Hard to only use a light coat with that very viscous stuff. I rubbed it into the threads with my forefinger and sealed the seams on both sides as well as the main hoop seams and X-ing pole strap area seams.

Then I mixed a 5:1 ratio (by volume)of odorless mineral spirits to GE silicone caulk in a plastic jar, shook it well and did the floor exterior with a small foam roller. Then I wiped it down a bit with paper shop towels to get of the excess.

THEN I shortened the X-ing pole 5 3/4" and ran it inside the fly, securing it with 2 double-sided Velcro cable wraps sewn inside the fly to the X-ing pole exterior strap reinforcements.
    This stitching also got sealed with Silnet goop.

NEXT I sewed 4 grosgrain ribbon stake loops equidistant around the fly hem.

FINALLY I made up 2 side guys with small plastic hooks on the tent end and mini line tensioners on the other. Same for the tent ends but longer to clove hitch around hiking poles and down to stakes.

That's a total of 10 (Yep, TEN) stakes, 4 guy lines and an interior X-ing pole.
    The MOMENT DW is now ready for bad storms.

Photos soon.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools