I recently inherited a Garmin eTrex Vista H, a neat little B&W GPS unit. I've been playing around with it and having a good time. It's an older device, looks to be from 2009 or 2010, but it's pretty new function-wise and I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not.
I'm about to head out to the Southwest for a bike tour and I'm debating on bringing it. I read through the BPL thread on iPhones vs. GPS devices, but I'm still having a hard time deciding whether or not to bring this GPS.
Questions and Info:
1. Is there any merit to bringing a GPS as a backup when I am out of cell phone reception on Verizon? I have good coverage, but I do lose signals from time to time in the northeast.
2. I get lost very easily, and I'm "new" to the outdoors in comparison to a lot of you, so I haven't completed meaningful paper mapping training. It's on my list next to my WFR course and NOLS. Is it wise to bring this just because of the potential consequences of getting lost, or am I letting irrational fear guide me?
3. I don't see many roads locally on my Garmin. Is there a way to update the road map in it to include smaller roads and backroads?
4. WWBPLD? Would you carry it or sell it or save it for a different kind of trip?

