Topic

Bottom Compression Straps??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bottom Compression Straps??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Cosma

@cosma19

Hi all!

I'm brand new to the forums! I've been backpacking for years, and I am now finally getting into "ultralight" backpacking. I was wondering if anyone ever puts compression straps on the bottoms of their packs? Pretty standard in larger packs, but I hate how manufacturers leave them off of smaller packs…in the 25-35L range.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you all have added them to your pack, and if so, is it pretty straight-forward or does it present any unexpected challenges? It would free up so much space inside the pack!

Thanks a million :-)

Ty

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Great question – anxious for responses & photos.

I have felt that hand sewing was to way to go, but I dread it.

And by thw way … Welcome Ty!

alex hansen

@holden425

I believe the "big brands" don't put those on there for compression, but rather because they feel like the consumers think that if they need the extra space " well I can just hang my tent, pad, or my sleeping bag there. "
    Most bpl'rs probably don't use those for anything but possibly a closed cell pad. I kept the loops on the bottom of my pack so I can run a bit of shock cord there if I needed the extra space. Keep in mind that anything that you put down there (if it weighs much) will throw off the way your pack carries.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

GoLite puts them on the bottom of some of their large packs. I am not aware of any others, but some may.
    They do work, especially when you want to use a 60 L pack for a day walk from a base camp.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools