Topic

Snowyside eVent Bivy Opening Sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Snowyside eVent Bivy Opening Sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Hi everyone,

I just put up the newest addition to our bivy line, the Snowyside eVent Bivy .

We wanted to have an option that was fully waterproof and could be used as a standalone shelter, so here it is! Some stats from the website:

Features:

3 layer eVent fabric top is extremeley breathable and 100% waterproof
    70D coated nylon waterproof bottom
    Removable netting for bug protection when the weather is nice
    Storm flap over velcro closure
    Stake loops at top and bottom
    Stuff sack included

Specs:

96in length
    74in girth at shoulders
    64in girth at feet
    Weight: 20oz

Opening sale price is $159.99. I'm not quite sure how long we can keep selling them for that low, but for now, that is the price.eVent bivy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Umm honey…. yeah… that thing about me not buying any more gear this fall…. yeah… um…"

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Hey John is this bottom sil nylon or PU coated?

I'm assuming it's Sil, but want to clarify, since that would be a clincher for me if it wasn't.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Javan,

It is PU coated, I should have been more clear, I'll add that to the website description. We could however make them with a 1.9oz Sil if anyone was interested though. Maybe I'll add that as an option.
    -John

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

John, I'm sure you guys have your reason for selecting that, so I'm not trying to be critical. Personally, I've never been happy with the durability of any PU coatings though, especially with high wear areas like floors. May never matter with a pad on top of course.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Javan, we use the heavy 1oz coating version kind, so it is very durable compared to the lighter coated stuff. Like you said though, with a pad on top, it really shouldn't matter. It is also nice to not have the slipperiness of the sil.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

How do you keep rain out if it opens on top?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Cool John, thanks for clarifying.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi John,

Would you consider doing them with an eVent base? Since ID stopped making the Overbag there hasn't been many options.

Also, how are you seam sealing?

Jason Schafer
    BPL Member

@jjschafer

Anyway to make this a side zip with storm flap? A side zip might enable quicker entrance and exit (possibly even while raining) rather than crawling out the top. This is just a thought. I'm interested in WPB bivies but don't have any experience using them.

Also how does the bug net work? is it a full hood under the fabric hood? is it a panel of netting over the entrance?

I've thought a bivy like this with one of your 5.5×9 flat tarps pitched lean-to or half pyramid over the head end would be the perfect setup.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi guys,

Rod,

We could definitely make it with an eVent base as well, shoot us an email and I can give you a quote.
    The seam sealing is done with seam tape.

Jason,

We're starting to design one with a side zip entrance as well. I'm trying to come up with something similar to our normal side zip bivy, using a waterproof zipper. Hopefully have it made up and ready as an option in a week or so.

The bug netting is a removable panel that is under the fabric hood. When the bivy is held up using the pull loop, it actually gives quite a bit of space underneath.

Thanks!

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

Looks excellent, if I needed a waterproof/breathable bivy this looks the one. I love the seal seaming option and I think a side zip is much more practical than trying to squeeze in and out through the top. I am curious on how much better the eVent works in this application given that that even uncoated nylon has condensation issues but I am sure it beats the alternative w/b products hands down. This appears to be state of the art right now.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ordered one :) Very, very excited. It's gonna be a long february waiting for it.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Max,

Did you use the bivy yet?

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Just ordered one myself with the Event floor and side zip.

From speaking with John the side zip adds 1.5oz, seam tape 3oz, removing the bug mesh drops 2.5oz. the base bivy is 20oz and Event floor adds 4oz.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools