Topic

fleece mid layer

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Question bout midlayers/fleeces…

I've been using a cheap Adidas grid fleece pullover hoodie (that I ripped all the decorative Adidas stripes off of and cut off/sewed up the kangaroo pocket dropping the weight to ~ 7 oz) when it gets cold enough for me to want to use one.

But I recently bought an OR Centrifuge jacket ($65), which is grid fleece on back/inside of arms, and thin, windproof softshell like fleece hybrid thing on the front and hood, full zip, but about 13oz.

ALSO, just bought the Stoic merino comp 230 anorak ($45), about 12oz, quarter zip hooded. Both were just impulse buys.

Now here's the thing… I was thinking about picking up the MEC T2 hoodie ($51 + membership +tax) next time I go up to Vancouver to replace the Adidas and/or the Stoic anorak (haven't taken tags off or worn it yet, would return it).

Should I even bother getting the T2 and returning the Stoic (which weighs double but is 38% merino and cheaper) as I have the Adidas Grid fleece and Outdoor Research jacket?

I guess the bigger question is, are all grid fleece created equal? Is there really a big difference between generic grid fleece and Polartec Power Dry grid fleece?

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm

"I guess the bigger question is, are all grid fleece created equal? Is there really a big difference between generic grid fleece and Polartec Power Dry grid fleece?"

There is madness on this path. Breathe…..

Indeed, fleece varies. How much needs a test bench to quantify. In general fleece does vary in durability and retaining loft, wicking and softness with wear and laundering. I think it varies in wicking and drying properties too— I've tried some 100w knock off stuff that was terrible. There have been a bunch of clothing outfits that have used poor clone fabric— and failed. Power Dry is good stuff and I think it is worth the extra cost.

One way to work around it is to find the military versions for cheap. The sizing runs large and I wouldn't be afraid to size down one size.

I too am waiting for a good excuse for a Vancouver tour :)

James holden BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm

1. i wouldnt say all grid fleece is equal … it all depends on the weight of the product, the waffle pattern and the material … but in general they all serve similar purposes

2. the windproof sections on the OR means that its more of an outer layer …

3. the MEC T2 is designed as as a very thin mid or thicker base layer … its quite thin and the waffle pattern makes it very breathable … but it isnt weather resistant at all … it weights ~5-6 oz in a small … the MEC T2/3 is made for high exertion activites where the large waffle grid pattern shines wicking and breathability

ask yourself if you are going to be doing high output activities like snowshoeing, climbing, biking, scrambling, running, etc .. in cold temps … if you are the T2/3 is for you

if not, anything will work …

hint … get the T2/3 as form fitting as reasonable for maximum wicking performance … not loose

you may want to get one just for the hell of it anyways … if you had to buy ONE MEC product, the T2/3 which are made in canada would be the one … they do everything a cap4/R1 does at half the price

;)

PostedOct 22, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I plan to wear my OR Centrifuge jacket while snowshoeing and hiking in snow as my outer layer with just a baselayer on underneath, as the grid fleece back will help with my back sweat and my backpack and the windproof front will keep me warm and dry, as the whole jacket has a dwr finish.

Guess I'll be returning the stoic merino comp anorak and maybe pick up a T2 when I visit Vancouver.

James holden BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 12:01 am

i generally use my merino for social situations … so you can always use it for that if the color/design works for casual wear

also note that the dead bird store is having a sale this weekend if yr coming up … hint show up sat or sun morning, friday is a total gongshow … last time we snatched up phase AR layers for 29$ a pop

but honestly when you use a T2/3 its like owning a part of the OLD made in canada MEC … just like how dead bird used to be, i have 3 dead bird sweaters/fleeces that are made in canada which ill never part with and are built like tanks … not like that new charge $$$$ but made in some sweatshop fleece they have now

;)

PostedOct 23, 2013 at 12:45 am

Aw man, I wish I was coming up this weekend. That's a pretty damn sweet sale.

The Stoic hoodie is very technical looking, dune (tan) with contrast paprika (orange-red) stitching at all seams. I think it looks cool though, and wouldn't mind wearing it casually. It wouldn't hurt to keep it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...