Last week I was solo backpack hunting in Lamoille Canyon in Nevada's Ruby Mountains.
My pack, with 11 lb. scoped Browning A-Bolt rifle & ammo strapped to my pack, was just under 50 lbs. (No lectures, please, I had winter clothes, mattress and bag plus a folding bone saw, 10 X LRF binoculars, rolled up plastic deer "sled" and other gear for quartering the deer.)
As I climbed up over the lip of the hanging glacial canyon I noticed pain just below my sternum. I could tell it was a muscular type twisting pain. After pushing on for another 10 minutes and having the pain become more frequent and sharper I made a "command decision".
As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." and with that in mind I headed back down the canyon to camp at its base.
The problem was, I knew from Ski Patrol training, a hiatal hernia when the stomach pushes up through the hiatus, or hole in the diaphragm where the esophagus passes through. My tight waist belt plus the strain of climbing, even with my hiking poles as aids, all combined to push my stomach up against and through the hiatus of my diaphragm. There are two types of hiatal hernias, one being quite dangerous with strangulation of the blood vessels to the stomach, the other a more common "sliding hernia". I monitored my condition for several hours and concluded I had a sliding hernia.
So I continued my (unsuccessful) hunt for another 3 days in the lower 1/3 of the canyon using only an REI Flash UL daypack and experienced no further prolems.
Now I'm scheduled for an endoscopy to assess the damage. I know the surgery will have to tighten up the hiatus but I'm not sure if I will have to limit my lifestyle at all after it heals.
Any docs wish to comment?


