Topic

Help adding a Zip to WPB a bivy

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Stephen M BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Folks,

I am looking to add a half side zip to an Integral Designs all Event Overbag, all the usual companies are booked out solid so thinking of trying it myself.

I do not have access to a machine at the moment but might purchase one seocnd hand as interested other projects, I can hand sew.

The bivy is primarily for snow holing and using under a tarp in winter.

Can anyone offer any advice.

Cheers,

Stephen

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

For something like installing a zipper in a bivy, I would DEFINITELY recommend not hand sewing it. A machine will make tighter and more even stitching that will hold up to the repetitive pulling from zipping/unzipping — the hand stitching, nowhere near as bombproof.

Buying a used machine shouldn't cost much — I'd check thrift stores and Craigslist. Believe me, you DON'T need anything fancy. You can MYOG 100% of the time with just a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch, which you'll find on even the most "basic" sewing machines.

Also, if you don't know how to install the zipper — YouTube has some amazing instructionals for just about anything…

Good luck!

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hi Valerie,

I will get myself a sewing machine so.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedOct 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm

a buddy has a machine I can borrow, now to find a waterproof zipper.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Steven,

ZPacks sells waterproof zippers, and they're great to deal with. Hope you post some photos when you're finished… :~)

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedOct 24, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Most definitley will Valerie.

I am off to order a zipper now.

Cheers,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...