Topic

24g SUL/SUC/SUDelicate water boiling kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion 24g SUL/SUC/SUDelicate water boiling kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I put together a complete alcky stove kit from disposable aluminum cookware, picture hanging wire and a tealight candle holder.

The "pot" is a pot-pie sized aluminum insert. It will hold 1.5cups of water. It weighs 7grams.

The cone windscreen/stand is from a disposable flat pan. It weighs 11grams.

The lid is a circular section of the same flat pan above and slightly snaps on onto the pot

I put a rolled up piece of carbon felt inside the tealight bc I like the additional spill margin it provides and it helps the stove perform a little more consistently over varying temperature ranges. The stove holds ~12grams/15mL of fuel, will burn for 10-12mins and weights 2 grams.

Total weight is 24grams/1oz

Here it is all together
    all together

Ready to burn
    ready

And all packed up
    stored

I can heat up 2 cups (two separate boils) of water inside (135F total temp rise) on a full stove. This is using 65%/35% methanol/ethanol so I should be able to do slightly better on the 95% ethanol I usually use (but lowes was out of).

Not counted in the weight is the, yet to be found, plastic container I will have to use as a bowl and to protect the pot during hiking.

I am still tinkering with this and don't know if it will replace my snow peak ti bowl for boil in bag meals.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Where does the weight of the plastic fuel bottle figure into the 24 gram total?

–B.G.–

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Fuel bottle wasn't in my quoted total. It adds another 12 grams and holds about 35gr of fuel.

The fuel bottle and a mini bic are about as heavy as the rest.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I like the double bail. That must add a lot of control while pouring. Good idea.

>"yet to be found, plastic container I will have to use as a bowl and to protect the pot during hiking."

Try the bottom 2-3" (or 4-5" if you wish to protect your windscreen/stand as well) of a half-gallon HDPE plastic milk jug. It makes a great bowl, handles temps far above boiling and is free at the recycling center. I'd estimate about 12 grams.

A one-gallon container of windshield washer fluid is the same material, perfectly round instead of squared off, but thicker, hence heavier and somewhat larger diameter than you need. About 30 grams for the bottom few inches.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Bob, I just weighed a new mini bic: 12 grams. The mini bic and fuel bottle together weight 25. Gasp they are obese! Maybe I can find a set of equally skinnny/cheap/flimsy/fiddly ignition source & fuel container – you have any ideas :)

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

David, the double bale does give a surprising amount of control. also, I formed a slight spout in between one of the sets of bale tie downs. I was able to pour boiling water back into my 2”X4" measuring cup with minimal spilling.

I had an empty cool whip container earmarked for a camping bowl but I bet the wife canned it (I'd already picked it out of the recycling once).

Ill checkout the milk jugs though i need something to clear 5.75" diameter. Do you have much trouble cleaning out 1/2 gal milk jugs on the trail?

Thanks for the ideas.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"you have any ideas :)"

This may not work out for you, but I am mostly an Esbit guy. With Esbit cubes, I can pack one or two or three or whatever number of fuel doses I need, and then there is no real fuel container.

My only complaint about a mini Bic lighter is that the fuel case is always opaque. I prefer the mostly transparent ones so that I can see exactly how much butane liquid remains.

–B.G.–

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"David, the double bale does give a surprising amount of control."

I'm totally stealing that idea on my MYOG pot.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

So I got a little hungry and decided to try steam baking a pancake in this rig.

I had to add:
    1. Cut down pot pie pan 5gr.
    2. Sheet of wax paper 2 gr.
    3. Simmer ring attachment (scale says 0 grams).

Put 2. in 1. and mix the mix in the pair.
    Put 50 gr water in main pie pot. Then put 1. (&2.) in the main pot add lid.
    Light stove with simmer ring and cook pancake muffins in windscreen cone for about 10mins.

Results:
    finished

done

The stove burned for 15 mins on 6gr fuel so I used 4-5gr on the pancake.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools